Marx Autumn Symphony in London

Started by der79sebas, Monday 30 January 2017, 08:56

Previous topic - Next topic

der79sebas

Joseph Marx' Autumn Symphony to be performed in London, 29th November 2017:

https://www.lpo.org.uk/whats-on-and-tickets/4808-an-autumn-symphony.html

Does anyone know if there is a chance to get a recording of this concert?

Alan Howe

Since it's at the RFH with Jurowski conducting, I'll wager that the LPO's own label will record it. It may also be braodcast, of course.

Thanks for spotting this. Booking commences on Wednesday 8th February from 10am UK time.

Ilja

Aw, what a dilemma. To be able to hear Marx' Herbstsinfonie in concert is great, but I'm having doubts about actually sitting through the whole thing in one go...

der79sebas

As Viennese I would say: Then buy a standing place. But I assume there are none in RFH ;)

Alan Howe

Oh, I survived Brian's Gothic, so...

MartinH

Hopefully any of you who live in/near London can help with this: how hard is it to get a ticket for the LPO? If I want to come to London for this concert (and I do) how late would be too late? The best thing about the date is that it's during Thanksgiving weekend here in the US which gives me a really good reason to ditch the family and football.

Alan Howe

I have no idea, I'm afraid. If the Marx has any sort of reputation, it may well attract a lot of people to the concert. On the other hand, if people think "what's that?", then there may be a slow take-up. However, Jurowski's always a draw in London, so my instinct is to book sooner rather than later. I certainly will be.

M. Yaskovsky

Strangely, the Joseph Marx Gesellschaft website says 'In September 2007, Stefan Esser (Vice President of the Joseph Marx Society) met the Finnish conductor Ari Rasilainen who is mainly working in Germany. A few months earlier, Mr. Rasilainen already had received a mail presenting the Herbstsymphonie. Mr. Rasilainen was extremely enthusiastic when he saw the score and could easily persuade Mr. Schmilgun (cpo) of doing a studio recording of this work in conjunction with previous live concerts' [quote ends] but that's already ten year ago....
http://www.joseph-marx.org/en/current.html#Concerts

Alan Howe

We've reported on that before. The trail's gone distinctly cold. Mind you, the Marx website hasn't been updated since the end of August 2014, so it's no longer very helpful as a resource.

adriano

With this (excellent) conductor I am almost sure that at least a live recording will be done. And cpo will probably do some Marx as well - they do everything anway. No chances left for smaller competitors; in a way one gets almost scared of their (greedy?) tempo!

ewk

Too bad 29 november is a wednesday and not a weekend, but that's probably a must-go... When did we have the last concert performance of this piece? several years ago, I suppose... (Botstein with ASO?)

Ilja

Quote from: hadrianus on Thursday 02 February 2017, 17:04
With this (excellent) conductor I am almost sure that at least a live recording will be done. And cpo will probably do some Marx as well - they do everything anway. No chances left for smaller competitors; in a way one gets almost scared of their (greedy?) tempo!

Recording tempo, yes - release tempo not so much, alas.

ewk

As the day of the concert is approaching – who is going to attend the concert? I just bought my tickets (still a lot available – I thought that Julia Fischer outweighs the unsung-ness in terms of ticket sales...). I Hope to see some of you at the Royal festival hall!

der79sebas

There have been only two performances of the Autumn Symphony after 1925:
Graz/Austria 2005 (Swierczewski) and New York 2008 (Botstein).

Alan Howe

Unfortunately I can't be there. I'm hoping for a broadcast...