Josef Richard Rozkošný (1833-1913)

Started by UnsungMasterpieces, Thursday 09 February 2017, 17:53

Previous topic - Next topic

UnsungMasterpieces

I just found some more fragments from Rozkošný's opera Svatojanské proudy on YouTube that haven't been mentioned here before.
You can listen to them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftr_7DOHMsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDU0aNE4n8c

Alan Howe

And very nice they are too. Thanks for posting the links.

UnsungMasterpieces

That's what I thought as well!

I found that Rozkošný didn't orchestrate the opera himself, but another composer did. And that composer was Karel Šebor.
I've been looking through the online database of the Czech National Library, and I've only found the piano reductions there (along with the sung texts, of course. They do have other works by him, so it's very interesting to browse it through, even though you can't view them.)

Hearing these fragments makes me wonder where they got the orchestrated score from.

eschiss1

btw article  on the opera here @ Wikipedia. (Doesn't mention that Sebor orchestrated it; if you could add thereto that information and where you got it from, that would be appreciated :) ) (Yes, St. John's Rapids is an English nickname for the opera, just as Die Moldaunixe is a German one.) (Though the only alternate title given in the Wikipedia article is Vltavská víla. The article on the composer does have "Svatojanské proudy (St John's Rapids, after the rapids on the Vltava) also called Vltavská víla (The Spirit of the Vltava) 1871" - Janacek wrote an article about it in 1887, I see from Google (" Nekolik slov o Svatojanskych proudech J.R. RozkoSneho [A few words about Rozkosny's St John's Rapids] signed: A HL,iii/9 (15 Feb 1887)"...)

UnsungMasterpieces

Yes, I was already aware of the Wikipedia article on the opera, but I wasn't aware of Janáček's article. I think I should read that one through.
I found out about Šebor's (possible) orchestration on the Dutch Wikipedia article on Rozkošný.
The same article furthermore states that Šebor did the instrumentation for another one of Rozkošný's operas, Záviš z Falkenštejna, though there aren't any references to other sources given immediately. Hopefully those aren't 'spurious claims.' :)

UnsungMasterpieces

By the way, the Czech wikipedia page on Svatojanské proudy also mentions that Šebor did the instrumentation.