Röntgen symphonies 9, 21 and Serenade

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 21 February 2017, 13:39

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

cpo has announced a CD with Röntgen symphonies 9, 21 and serenade. The former is not quite a world premiere if I recall- an earlier recording on Cobra was broadcast some years back on Concertzender.  From the description I'm guessing one's reaction may depend on one's opinion of Liszt.

Gareth Vaughan

I am very glad to see that the cycle is continuing. I wonder how long ago these were recorded.

eschiss1

If I read the jpc page properly, 12 years or so ago (2005.) (I don't know for sure that that date reflects the recording date for all the items on the release, will have to check against cpo CDs I have vs. their representations on the website, e.g.)

An earlier-issued disc in this series, issued 2012, would by the same ("CPO, 2008") have been recorded later...

Gareth Vaughan

I just wondered if that date was correct, given that some older releases have later recording dates. I'm wondering if all the Rontgen symphonies and concertos CPO planned to commit to disk have in fact been recorded and are simply awaiting editing or release. Compare the latest in the Raff string quartet series!

Mark Thomas

Great news, though, whatever the delay. That said, as Gareth mentions, the first in the Raff string quartet series was issued in 2004 and the second (2 CDs) in 2015, so there's only another nine years to wait until the final CD is due... Patience is not only a virtue, it's a neccessity with cpo.

Alan Howe

QuoteI'm wondering if all the Rontgen symphonies and concertos CPO planned to commit to disk have in fact been recorded and are simply awaiting editing or release

cpo's blurb:

QuoteThis month our extensive and successful Röntgen edition continues with a new symphonic production
(emphasis added)

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

And true hope involves confidence and patience, of course...

Alan Howe

This is a fine CD. Particularly mouthwatering is the delicious Serenade in E major of 1902. Röntgen really was a marvel: music just flowed from his pen like water from an eternal spring.

The recordings were indeed made in November/December 2005!

eschiss1

Sorry about the 2005 then, I misunderstood :) Will try to get a listen to the disc (I think it's on NML...)

jerfilm

eschiss1

Alan Howe

QuoteSorry about the 2005 then

I apologise profusely. '2015' was a typo on my part; the recordings were indeed made in 2005!! (I've amended my earlier post.)

Gareth Vaughan

Well in a way that is even more encouraging as it suggests the series may well have been completed in terms of recording.  We are just waiting for cpo to release the disks.  Nice thought.

jerfilm