Nowowiejski Quo Vadis

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 25 February 2017, 11:14

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Yaskovsky

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

My copy arrived today (sorry to rub it in). First impressions are very favourable - this is clearly a very well prepared and stunningly recorded performance. And what a work it is! Quite the most exciting work of its type and period that I have discovered in recent years. I don't think Nowowiejski is a particularly original or innovative composer, but, my goodness, this work packs a real punch. (Mind you, the juxtaposition of slavonic-sounding church music and Meyerbeerian marches is pretty unusual!)

This is a great work; of that I am fully convinced.

Alan Howe

Other influences in the mix are Wagner (Lohengrin) and the French oratorio tradition. Possibly Bruch too, since Nowowiejski studied under him.

Alan Howe

M. Yaskovsky

Indeed, now we get spoiled by choice......... :-\ I think I'll wait for a review here or there

Alan Howe

The CDs (DUX1327-1328) are now available in the UK from Discovery Records Ltd. - tel. 01380 728000:
www.discovery-records.com

M. Yaskovsky

Alan Howe

Really? I'm amazed. I can't see how it can sell for much more than £25 once the online retailers get hold of it.

Alan Howe

Certainly no-one should be buying this from Discovery at £42.99!! I have emailed them to find out why their price is so high...

Gareth Vaughan

£45.22 on Amazon UK! A third party seller is offering it for £36 something. Still, that's ridiculously highly priced.

Alan Howe

Absolutely. Nobody should be buying at these prices. I'll report back on what Discovery have to say about this...

Alan Howe

And their reply was:

We sell our products based on the what a label charges us. I agree that it is expensive but it does come in a deluxe clam shell box along with a 56 page booklet.

Hmmmm.... I have the set and the box is nice, though nothing special, and the booklet is, of course, in Polish and English. Definitely not worth the money - unless you're desperate to hear the piece.

Mark Thomas

... and if you are desperate to hear the piece, then Hadrianus' excellent off-air recording of a different peformance is still freely downloadable from our Downloads Board here.

markniew

Here in poland price is 99 zlotys, i.e. ca. 25 USD. I have no idea what the cost o posting might be.
for internationa distribution  you can contact as below
kitka@dux.pl