Vincent D'Indy: Andante pour piano et violon (1876)

Started by violinconcerto, Tuesday 28 February 2017, 07:04

Previous topic - Next topic

violinconcerto

I recently found an autograph manuscript of a previously unknown and therefore unpublished composition for violin and piano by Vincent D'Indy. I am now preparing the release of the score through my website. If you followed my activities over the last years you may note that a work from 1876 does not fit to my normal interests. To make matters worse Vincent D'Indy did not compose a work for violin and orchestra at all, so I am not familiar with him so far. And now you come into play. I already created a subpage about Vincent D'Indy on my website. I wrote a short biography and some facts about the "Andante". If you have the time and interest (any maybe you are a D'Indy aficionado or expert) I would be grateful if you stop by at my website and point me any errors and missing information. And perhaps you have some interesting thoughts and additions I could include.

Here is a direct link to the page: http://www.tobias-broeker.de/rare-manuscripts/vincent-d-indy/

Best,
Tobias

eschiss1

You mention that his work catalogue only mentions the violin sonata, but the French National Library catalogue has, I think, other violin and piano works - little leafings - by him. (Hrm. No, my mistake. Those are transcriptions by others, eg Doney, Bachmann. Sorry!..)

(I see that the manuscript does mention his full name from the excerpt you show, otherwise I'd have to ask whether we were dealing for certain with Vincent or perhaps his uncle Wilfrid... who did compose eg "Grandes Variations concertantes sur un air napolitain pour piano et violon.." (published 1844)

violinconcerto

Thanks for checking the BNF. I am not familiar with the output of Vincent d'Indy and I could only find the Violin sonata in his oeuvre. IMSLP lists a Serenade for violin and piano, but that must be a mistake as it is for orchestra (and at IMSLP is also a note by someone that the entry must be wrong). But of course I am no expert, so maybe there are other works for violin and piano.

The dating of the autograph with 1876 seems good, as there is the owner stamp of Jean bernis, who lived from 1857 to 1889. I also compared the handwriting with other autographs by Vincent d'Indy and I am sure that the work is by him.

Best,
Tobias

eschiss1

Very sorry about that and thanks for double-checking!

minacciosa

There is a Serenade for Violin and Piano designated as Op.28.

eschiss1

Re Op.28: "Sérénade et Valse pour 1 flûte, 1 haut bois, 1 clarinette, 1 Basson, 1 Cornet à pistons, Timbales et Quintette à cordes. Oeuv. 28, V. d' Indy (manuscript, @BNF).

"1ère éxécution : Angers. Déc. 1889, 2e... Liége Janv. 1890. - Daté à la fin : 1887. - Ms. ayant servi à la gravure et portant le timbre de l'éditeur J. Hamelle et le cotage J. 3484 H de deux pièces pour piano, la première empruntée à l'opus 16 III, la seconde extraite de la suite d'Helvétia Op. 17 (1) sous le titre d'Aazau."

eschiss1

The serenade @ IMSLP says extracted from Op.28 (see the piano score). Or do you mean another?

violinconcerto

The score is now online and can be downloaded free of charge!

Best,
Tobias