New Raff recording project

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 07 March 2017, 09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

How marvellous. Not that I'm surprised really.

Ilja

That's all very well but you do realize you're rather trying our patience, don't you?  ;)

Seriously, I can't wait.

Mark Thomas

Announced in March, recorded in May... my word, Ilja, your patience is non-existent!!  ;D

Alan Howe

That's really good news! Thanks!

Mark Thomas

A further update: all being well the hi-def recording will be published by the end of 2017, or early 2018, with downloads available shortly thereafter. The label will be Naxos' Grand Piano strand, which published Tra's series of six CDs of Raff's solo piano music.

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Huh. I can't remember any previous recording on Grand Piano that wasn't solo piano or 4 hand piano(s).

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Ooh, Boris Chaikovskii violin sonata. (Way outside our orbit but -good- composer.) Thanks for the link!

Mark Thomas

Quotethe hi-def recording will be published by the end of 2017, or early 2018
it's now confirmed for November this year,

Gareth Vaughan

Just on time for Christmas.
Dear Santa ...

Mark Thomas

Here's the promotional video, just released. The opening piano flourish comes from the Caprice, by the way. The rest of the clips you'll recognise.

Alan Howe

It's balm to the ears. Sheer magic. Can't wait...

I can see, by the way, how Tra's personality is so suited to the joy of Raff's music-making!

MartinH

Excellent! The video was certainly worth viewing - such a small string section, but sure sounds bigger. Too bad for Hyperion. This repertoire should have been in their Romantic Piano Concerto series a long time ago, but now, with this excellent new recording, why bother? I am a bit confused by the "World Premier Recordings". Only the Caprice, unless there's more not listed on the front of the CD.

Mark Thomas

No, only the Caprice is a world premiere, Martin. I've already pointed this out to Naxos.