News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jaëll PCs 1 & 2

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 13 March 2017, 22:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

It's very good to see Jaëll's two fine concertos getting their second commercial recording. They're very robust works which certainly deserve to be better known.

kolaboy

Have any of Alfred Jaëll's original compositions ever  been recorded?

Mark Thomas

Good heavens! I didn't know that he'd composed anything, and now I see from this list that he wrote at least 171 works for piano.

Martin Eastick

I do have a fairly large (and hopefully fairly representative) collection of Alfred Jaell scores in my collection but have to say that they seem to be  rather much in the 2nd/3rd division! - with nothing in particular outstanding IMHO. I suppose rather similar in many respects to Henri Herz, but generally somehow lacking in inspiration. The "original" works are attractive enough, but don't expect too much!

kolaboy

If we can have a cd devoted to the compositions of George Osbourne I don't think a disc of Alfred Jaell's work would be unreasonable. I believe that he and his wife collaborated on a few pieces - though these may be transcriptions...

Mark Thomas

From what Martin says, though, Marie Jaëll was the composing talent in the marriage. 

jimsemadeni

I don't think Alfred's focus was composition as much as pianist, but he was also a strong supporter of his wife's composition work, as well as her work on her unique piano method. St. Saens told Marie that if she were a man her scores would  be on podiums all over Europe, and to me her music suggests exactly that. The white male good old boys club is not a new thing, obviously, and isn't now or ever has been just or concerned about the damage it inflicts on any person of the opposite gender or darker skin tone that isn't included.

kolaboy

Whatever. If a disc of his compositions were issued, I'd buy it - as I will hers.

JimL

I find her cello concerto to be an excellent work.  It was recorded along with the rest of her music on this collection: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/feb/14/marie-jaell-symphonic-and-piano-music-cd-review-neglected-romantic-composer

thalbergmad

There is nothing in Alfred's works that i have tried that comes anywhere near the 2 PC's of his wife. A couple of his transcriptions have been recorded, but they are Hunten level. The sort of works that one would have heard played by young ladies in Victorian salons.

These 2 piano concertos are top notch to my ears and i guess it might have been 19th century values that kept them from regular performance.

In the 21st century, hopefully the situation can be put right.

Thal

kolaboy

Oh I have no doubt that she's the better composer of the two, but I have an almost pathological fascination for the neglected, and the forgotten. That's how I came upon this forum ;)

thalbergmad

I share your passion old chap, albeit it often leads one to mediocrity.

The Jaell PC's justify the hunt.

Thal

Alan Howe

redieze

Good new :) :Ediciones Singulares (with the french foundation Palazetto Bru-Zane) had released in 2015 a limited edition ( Portraits vol.3 ref ES1022 but 2500copies,hurry !) of a book/3cd containing :the 2 piano ctos, the cello, La légende des ours (legend of the bears) for soprano & orch. and 3 dozens of piano solo works