News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sverre Jordan (1889-1972)

Started by JimL, Wednesday 15 March 2017, 14:03

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

I've encountered his 2 piano concertos on YouTube, and both appear to be in a Romantic/post-Romantic idiom, at a time in which many of his fellow Norwegians were going down the avant-garde path.  He studied in Berlin, and graduated in 1914.  He is noteworthy inasmuch as he appears to have composed the only cello concerto in a Romantic style by a Norwegian besides Johan Svendsen's; a work I would very much like to be exhumed and recorded.

Alan Howe

Interesting, yes. The sound (on YouTube) in PC1 is awful, but the music's very attractive. PC2 is still available on a Simax CD.

Mark Thomas

Fight your way through the murk and mud and, yes, a very enjoyable utterly romantic piano concerto.

Alan Howe

PC2 is also thoroughly romantic and highly enjoyable. What a pity that PC1 isn't available on CD.

detuqueridapresencia

Guys still no trace about any recording of his cello concerto. I am also searching - in vain - for his horn concerto which I was extremely curious to listen to, even an amateur performance. Any thoughts?

eschiss1

Were his fellow Norwegians going down the avant-garde path? When Fartein Valen went a little off the Romantic path in the 1940s or so Norwegian music didn't welcome or follow him. (Maybe this was later...)