Johann Benjamin Gross, Cello Concerto op. 14

Started by Double-A, Thursday 16 March 2017, 15:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Double-A

This started with my desire to transcribe an orchestral work for a change and to see if I am up to the challenge.  I chose this concerto because the parts of the first edition were available complete on IMSLP and because I have come to appreciate this composer.
The score is now finished and can be viewed here.  There is also set of parts going along with the score.  The piano reduction will follow shortly.

I decided also to post a computer generated sound track--a recording won't be available any time soon so this is the best acoustic representation presently available.  There was an attempt to achieve something in the neighborhood of "balance"; one could tinker endlessly with these files but time is limited and it is the way it is.

The piece strikes me as worth listening to (if we had a recording that is).  It is titled on the title page of the first--presumably only--edition (Breitkopf & Härtel, ca. 1832):  Concerto en forme de Concertino pour Violoncell avec l'Accompagnement de l'Orchestre ou du Piano.  The three movements are played attacca, hence probably "en forme de concertino". 

eschiss1