News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hausegger from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 17 March 2017, 22:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

It'll be soon. I order mine direct from jpc.de in Germany. There's usually a delay of a couple of months before cpo releases come out here.

jerfilm

It hasn't shown up on NML yet either.  Nor has the Mayer Piano Trios.   Or the Holbrooke 3rd Symphony.   Or the Graener Cello Concerto.......

eschiss1

Ah. Yes, Symposium SYMP1130 with the Holbrooke symphony no.3- the only recording listed- is not available on NML in my country (the USA) "due to territorial or copyright restrictions" according to the link from the Holbrooke "biography and discography" page at the Naxos website. So that yet, anyway, may be a while yet. Other yet-i (plural, of course, of yet) may be sooner.

Alan Howe

Graener's Cello Concerto hasn't been released in Germany yet either (c/w his Violin Concerto and Flute Concerto).

FBerwald

The beautiful Flute concerto [Graener] has been issued on Sterling.

Gareth Vaughan

The cpo recording of Holbrooke's 3rd symphony hasn't been released yet in Germany or anywhere else. Don't expect it before next year.

eschiss1

FBerwald: re Graener a-fluting- different recording, different recording. No worries, no worries. (Or to translate the brick joke more literally, "without care"...)

Droosbury

Aufklänge etc now advertised on Amazon (available 30 June), with a reference to a future release of Barbarossa, and the cryptic line "There is still a rich supply of mighty symphonic music to be discovered." Dare we hope for more?

Ilja

There isn't that much more, I'm afraid: with Barbarossa we've reached the end of Hausegger's oeuvre for orchestra; there are some rumors of a symphonic poem Odinsmeeresritt (Odin‟s Ride Over the Sea), but it is likely that never in fact existed. There are a couple of works for orchestra and chorus, though, including Schmied Schmerz (Pain the Blacksmith) and Neuweinlied (New Wine Song)

His choral music includes an a capella Requiem, Six Folksongs for mixed chorus (done in 1915 at the request of Kaiser Wilhelm II) and Gesang der Geister über den Waßern (Song of the Spirits Over the Waters) of Schubert for 8-part choir with orchestral accompaniment.

Anyone wishing more information could do worse than download Don O'Connor's Siegmund von Hausegger: Pan-German Symphonist (PDF file), which treats these works in more depth and which I pilfered for the information above.

Mark Thomas

I heartily endorse Ilja's recommendation to read Don's short and very accessible treatise on Hausegger. It's well worth it if you are at all interested in his music.

Droosbury

Yes, having seen that essay on Hausegger, I was a little surprised that there might be more. Unless cpo know more than we do, of course. Still, Barbarossa is a colossal great work that I'm happy to wait for on cd, though after hearing all these symphonic pieces that the Natursymphonie is his greatest work.

eschiss1

There was a publication of songs of his (possibly around 1910?) by Ries & Erler that has not, I think, been recorded in whole or part (recently?) either. (A partsong of his may have been recorded back around 1994 or so.) Apologies for digression...

(I do see the vocal score of his opera Zinnober, at Free Library Philadelphia and other places - would that the former had the full score. If that has a standalone prelude maybe cpo might record that, if not the whole thing... assuming the orchestral parts exist...)

Austrian National Library does have 2 songs for chorus and orchestra though, fwiw.

Ilja

I might take a peek at the Zinnober score in the Berlin Staatsbibliothek when I'm there. Of course, there's also the equally wagnerian Heilfried (1890), which someone told me also has an overture and quite a few orchestral interludes. But that is all still from Hausegger's faux-Wagner days; I much prefer his later, more individual works.

eschiss1

The new Hausegger and Mayer CD streams are -now- @ NML for what it's worth...

adriano