Author Topic: Hausegger from cpo  (Read 2638 times)

Alan Howe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hausegger from cpo
« on: Friday 17 March 2017, 22:57 »
...i.e. the Symphonic Variations on a Children's Song "Aufklänge","Wieland der Schmied" and the "Dionysische Phantasie":
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/siegmund-von-hausegger-aufklaenge/hnum/3097605

At last!!!

TerraEpon

• View Profile
Re: Hausegger from cpo
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 2017, 23:48 »
Well if it's even almost as good as the Nature Symphony, I'll be all over this.

Mark Thomas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Joachim Raff
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 2017, 06:29 »
You'll be all over it, then.  :) The Dionysische Phantasie is, to me, very reminiscent of the Natursinfonie in that it is gorgeously orchestrated, but rambles a bit and could do with a good edit. Aufklänge I don't know, but Wieland der Schmied is a cracking piece, comparatively compact by Hausegger's standards and up to the standard of his magnificent Barbarossa.

M. Yaskovsky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 2017, 10:13 »
Well, very great news! And played by the Bamberger, what a great orchestra that is! I don't mind if Hausegger's music rambles here and there.... as some commentators try to convince me (Gramophone review of the Natursymphonie); it's a fine addition to the repertoire!

Ilja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 2017, 10:27 »
This is good news! The Dionysische Phantasie I absolutely adore from beginning to end, and I feel the "rambling" serves a purpose in this piece. At about 25 minutes, it doesn't overstay its welcome at all. Aufklänge is of a somewhat different breed than the rest of Hausegger's oeuvre, and sounds almost Mahlerian at times. It's much more elegiac and even introverted than we're used to from Hausegger, and from what I gather he intended it to be a bookend of sorts, opposite the Natursymphonie.

From O’Connor, Don (2014). Siegmund von Hausegger, pan-German Symphonist, p. 59. Self-published (and available online for who's interested):
Aufklänge reflects the “dream-like optimistic and deeply reverie-like feelings of a father beside his child‟s cradle.” (The work is dedicated to his son, Friedrich.) The general layout of the piece is a theme and eight variations, followed by an elaborate scherzo-like section Hausegger describes as “the roaring song of a visionary view of life”. The music concludes with a return to the musing of its beginning.

Wieland is just a bowl of fun.
- By comparing and scaling these great musicians you are diminishing art itself. Every artist has its own mind, sensibility and technique which gives us varieties and choices. Please do not make art into a competition: it is insulting to wonderful composers and artists - Anonymous YT commenter

minacciosa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 March 2017, 13:43 »
I did like Natur-Symphonie very much. The Star wars/Kings Row "quote" really caught me by surprise!

UnsungMasterpieces

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 2017, 12:15 »
The CD will be released on April 24th, 2017. I've ordered it yesterday (or perhaps 'reserved my copy'), and I'm very curious about what's heading in my direction soon.
I found his Natursymphonie such a genius piece, that I just had to do it!

Alan Howe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 2017, 16:20 »
My copy's on order too...

jerfilm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 April 2017, 15:38 »
Gosh, and only 2 years after the original release date........heehee......

M. Yaskovsky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 April 2017, 20:20 »
Ordered the CD today, because jpc.de offers their 'postage free-weekend' today. On their website they inform us a third Hausegger volume - with Barbarossa! - is under way!

UnsungMasterpieces

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 April 2017, 21:26 »
Now that's another thing to look forward to! What else will they have in store for us, I wonder...

jerfilm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 15:42 »
Please don't hold your breath waiting.......

M. Yaskovsky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 22:07 »
Insipid, there's the cpo bashing again! Be glad there're still CD's produced by zealots like B. Schmilgun!

Alan Howe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 22:15 »
Agreed - but it's not 'cpo bashing' to wish for a more prompt release of recordings made, in some cases, nearly a decade ago (e.g. Raff's String Quartets Nos.2-4, etc.)

eschiss1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 April 2017, 07:44 »
... agreed with some reservations or rather confusion.
"Write a music you love very much. If you are completely convinced, others will be convinced, and will eventually come to love it as you do." - Sessions, as quoted by Harbison (in 1977)