News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hausegger from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 17 March 2017, 22:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...i.e. the Symphonic Variations on a Children's Song "Aufklänge","Wieland der Schmied" and the "Dionysische Phantasie":
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/siegmund-von-hausegger-aufklaenge/hnum/3097605

At last!!!

TerraEpon

Well if it's even almost as good as the Nature Symphony, I'll be all over this.

Mark Thomas

You'll be all over it, then.  :) The Dionysische Phantasie is, to me, very reminiscent of the Natursinfonie in that it is gorgeously orchestrated, but rambles a bit and could do with a good edit. Aufklänge I don't know, but Wieland der Schmied is a cracking piece, comparatively compact by Hausegger's standards and up to the standard of his magnificent Barbarossa.

M. Yaskovsky

Well, very great news! And played by the Bamberger, what a great orchestra that is! I don't mind if Hausegger's music rambles here and there.... as some commentators try to convince me (Gramophone review of the Natursymphonie); it's a fine addition to the repertoire!

Ilja

This is good news! The Dionysische Phantasie I absolutely adore from beginning to end, and I feel the "rambling" serves a purpose in this piece. At about 25 minutes, it doesn't overstay its welcome at all. Aufklänge is of a somewhat different breed than the rest of Hausegger's oeuvre, and sounds almost Mahlerian at times. It's much more elegiac and even introverted than we're used to from Hausegger, and from what I gather he intended it to be a bookend of sorts, opposite the Natursymphonie.

From O'Connor, Don (2014). Siegmund von Hausegger, pan-German Symphonist, p. 59. Self-published (and available online for who's interested):
QuoteAufklänge reflects the "dream-like optimistic and deeply reverie-like feelings of a father beside his child‟s cradle." (The work is dedicated to his son, Friedrich.) The general layout of the piece is a theme and eight variations, followed by an elaborate scherzo-like section Hausegger describes as "the roaring song of a visionary view of life". The music concludes with a return to the musing of its beginning.

Wieland is just a bowl of fun.

minacciosa

I did like Natur-Symphonie very much. The Star wars/Kings Row "quote" really caught me by surprise!

UnsungMasterpieces

The CD will be released on April 24th, 2017. I've ordered it yesterday (or perhaps 'reserved my copy'), and I'm very curious about what's heading in my direction soon.
I found his Natursymphonie such a genius piece, that I just had to do it!

Alan Howe

jerfilm

Gosh, and only 2 years after the original release date........heehee......

M. Yaskovsky

Ordered the CD today, because jpc.de offers their 'postage free-weekend' today. On their website they inform us a third Hausegger volume - with Barbarossa! - is under way!

UnsungMasterpieces

Now that's another thing to look forward to! What else will they have in store for us, I wonder...

jerfilm

Please don't hold your breath waiting.......

M. Yaskovsky

Insipid, there's the cpo bashing again! Be glad there're still CD's produced by zealots like B. Schmilgun!

Alan Howe

Agreed - but it's not 'cpo bashing' to wish for a more prompt release of recordings made, in some cases, nearly a decade ago (e.g. Raff's String Quartets Nos.2-4, etc.)

eschiss1

... agreed with some reservations or rather confusion.