Reger Piano Quintet No.2 Op.64 & Cello Sonata No.4

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 23 March 2017, 22:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...are featured on a new release from Etcetera. I'd never heard the Piano Quintet before: it dates from 1901-2 and is typical of Reger at his best - if you like his music, that is. It's obviously post-Brahmsian, contrapuntally dense and decidedly 'serious', yet there are absolutely wonderful things in it when the chromaticism suddenly clears and the music takes off in quite a different direction. You probably have to be in the right mood for this music, but if you are, the rewards are great. The new CD features marvellously imaginative playing, by the way: the slow movement is something else.

Does anyone else know this fine piece? (I haven't listened to the Cello Sonata yet.)

eschiss1

Not yet, though there have been several recordings. It's supposed to be the first of his middle-period works, many of which (eg the A minor string trio, F major cello sonata, etc. - of which his first piano quartet may be among the toughest "nut" of the lot, been trying to relisten to that lately with some success I hope.) I like a lot; it's a period in which he combined lyricism and capriciousness.

The 4th cello sonata I've heard a few recordings of, including Serkin's, iirc, and I have one on a superbudget cello music album, but I will try to catch the quintet.

I have a much earlier Etcetera recording of Reger (piano trios) with the Göbel-trio which I recall finding very well-played, replayable and convincing.