August Alexander Klengel - Nice kickstarter project

Started by kvizy, Wednesday 29 March 2017, 07:16

Previous topic - Next topic

kvizy

Dear forum members,

I would like to draw your attention to a nice recording project. The composer is this time August Alexander Klengel, who is now remembered for his fugues. Obviously he also wrote some warm romantic music, like the trio included in the recording project, which I understand to be a premiere.

At eight days from the deadline, about 2/3 of the funding is raised and I hope the goal will be finally met. Anyway, I have no doubt that many of you will show interest about this truly unsung composer and his nice music.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1391402869/august-alexander-klengel-piano-and-chamber-music-c?ref=nav_search

Kàroly Vizy

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

I'd be interested in hearing his 2 piano concertos (the parts to the first of them is at imslp.org). Best wishes with the trio!

Gareth Vaughan

I cannot find the second piano concerto in Pazdirek and am assuming it was not published.  I don't know the whereabouts of Klengel's mss,  or if they have survived. More research is clearly required.

eschiss1

Some of them have survived- Pierpont Morgan Library has a manuscript of a piano work of his, for instance. Worldcat lists quite a few published works; Pazdirek may not list the 2nd concerto but have you checked Worldcat, OBVSG/Austrian National Library and generally all the usual suspects?

eschiss1

Speaking of OBVSG:

here you are. Manuscript autograph score at the Austrian National library of the 2nd concerto in E minor, dedicated to Cramer. Took me very little time to search for that, btw... (worldcat.org and https://obvsg.at/kataloge/kataloge-wien/ (then: Wien-Nationale-Bibliothek, online catalog) ( are your friends :) )

eschiss1

"Klengel's 2nd piano concerto, op.29, was published ca. 1823 (with a September 1823 publication notice in the ''Allgemeine musikalische Zeitung'', volume 25." (And as Op.15 by Peters, Peters plate 1738. Both ca.1823.)

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you very much,  Eric, for those helpful tips and for doing that bit of research which I should have done myself if I had had more nous.

eschiss1

Sorry, sorry, rather had the bit in my teeth there. (Though as the French say, there is no we in nous...)

Sharkkb8

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1391402869/august-alexander-klengel-piano-and-chamber-music-c/community

Don't know if any other UC members contributed to this Kickstarter project, as was posted here in March of last year.  I did so last April, and was to have received a pre-release copy of the Toccata cd, along with a "personal note" from the artists.  Fact is, I essentially forgot about the project over the ensuing months, until the other day, when I was researching a completely different email issue, and found the pledge/correspondence for this project.  When I went back to the Kickstarter page, the last update was an "apology for the delay", dated Sep't 2017.  So two days ago I sent a note to the contact person (the Klengel Trio pianist), asking the current status.  She quickly replied, in a perfectly polite and apologetic (yet curiously cryptic) email, that due to some "health issues, I submitted the recording later to the producer and neglected the backers."  I'm hoping there is a translation glitch here, and that surely not every backer of the project failed to receive what they paid for.  There were only a total of 34 backers, not an impossibly large number to be handled, it seems to me.  In any case, with her email, she attached a digital copy of the music, so I did get the promised music (though not the physical cd).  If there are any other UC backers out there who might have paid as little attention as I did along the way, you might wish to ask about your pledge.   Fully admit my own lack of attentiveness, still, these crowdfunding deals frequently seem considerably better in theory than in practice, at least with the 4-5 times I've taken the plunge. Caveat emptor.

Gregory