Potter PCs 2 & 4: Hyperion RPC vol.72

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 05 April 2017, 00:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

How interesting. Definitely one to explore...

thalbergmad

Been waiting for this for a long time. We know from his symphony recordings what this man was  capable of.

Yonks ago i played through the D minor concerto. I recall a Ries type vibe, but the years may have dulled my senses.

Anyway, a definate for me.

Thal

Jimfin

Excellent news! Yes, I'm very fond of his symphonies, far more than those MacFarren ones that CPO did. This should be a great release

redieze

this ancestor of Harry (!!)also wrote  a symphony (recorded by Unicorn-Kanchana in the 1990')Maybe hope some victorian concertos like Benedict or Bache (also that very dear Hypérion Records !)

Gareth Vaughan

There are 9 extant symphonies, though their numbering is confusing and indicate that he wrote more. (The eccentric numbering is mostly the fault of te composer.) Three have been given commercial recordings: Nos 8 & 10 (actually no. 6) on Unicorn and No. 7 (actually no. 4) on Classico.
Hyperion have already recorded piano concertos by Benedict and Bache (see Vols. 48 and 43 respectively of the Romantic Piano Concerto series).

oldman

THis is now listed for Pre-Order from Apple iTunes as available jul 28, 2017. Based on the excepts previewed, its going to be a wonderful disk!

FBerwald

I wonder if there is an extant Piano Concerto No. 1 & 3 ...

Gareth Vaughan

There are, as far as I know, only three PCs extant.

Mark Thomas

So, which of 1 and 3 has fallen by the wayside then, Gareth?

Gareth Vaughan

Only three are listed in the Philharmonic Society archive in the BL. They are described thus:
Piano Concerto in E, 1835
Piano Concerto No. 2 in D minor, 1832
Piano Concerto in E flat, n.d. (wm 1833)

so I'm guessing the missing PC is No. 1

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

semloh

Thanks for advising this was on the way, and for the links. I must find a niche for it somewhere in the collection!

Potter seems to be doing pretty well for a composer who was virtually unknown 20 years ago. As someone on UC pointed out recently, we are in a 'golden age' when it comes to musical revivals.