Rufinatscha article @ MusicWeb

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 13 April 2017, 05:40

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Just noticed this, by Andrew Hartman, mentioned near the top of their weekly mailing.

Alan Howe

Thanks very much indeed, Eric.

As far as I know, this is the first major article in English about Rufinatscha's music. It's a very fine assessment.

chill319

While Alan's judgment is most prudent and truly one to be recommended, Hartman's article presents a few points one might quibble with. Just for starters, while repeated emphasis is given to Rufinatscha's musical relationship to Schubert, during Rufinatscha's formative years Schubert was, reputation-wise,  a rather minor composer. Sechter, on the other hand, was a well-known and exceptionally prolific composer (his 8000 works put Czerny to shame), and among Rufinatscha's Viennese contemporaries, Lachner, in fact, was the young composer to watch. Schubert 's single late session with Sechter says much more about Sechter's own considerable reputation than it does about Sechter's perceived pedagogical influence on Schubert. In short, a worthy unsung composer may well develop his craft through imitatio of other today-unsung composers. In the long haul, if not the end, it comes down not to craft or prestigious patrimony but to whether a composer has something authentic to share.

Alan Howe

In the final analysis, Rufinatscha's voice is an extraordinarily individual one.

Santo Neuenwelt

What I would like to know is where can one find copies of his 2 string quartets and 2 piano quartets recorded a few years back on the Tiroler Landmuseum and Sparkasse labels? The library of the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde? The Austrian National Library? The Bayerischestaatsbibliothek? We would like to reprint these works if we could find them.

Alan Howe

The best thing to do, I think, would be to contact Franz Gratl in Innsbruck here:
F.Gratl@tiroler-landesmuseen.at

Santo Neuenwelt

Okay, thanks Alan. We will do that.

Gareth Vaughan

I understood that most of Rufinatscha's MSS are in a collection at the Tiroler Landesmuseum.

Alan Howe

Santo Neuenwelt

Well Alan, after getting you advice I immediately sent an email to Herr Gratl but unfortunately, he has not responded. Perhaps there is someone else there to contact.

There is some small chance I will be in Austria this summer and I can stop in Innsbruck. Been there many times but not to the Landesmuseum. Of course, I would rather we could get a hold of someone through email...

Alan Howe

I would re-send the email. Franz Gratl is the correct person to contact. Mention my name, if you like - I've done a lot of translation work for him.

JimL

Good luck, Santo!  Maybe you'll find the errant wind parts for the C minor Symphony!

Santo Neuenwelt

Thanks again Alan for your advice. I will do that. I'll try Tirolerdeutsch, maybe that will work
Servus
Santo

razorback

Hi All:

I am a new member [registered today] just getting my sea legs on your wonderful and exciting blog so forgive me if I screw up at the start.  I read your material on Johann Rufinatscha the other day along with the article by Andrew Hartman on MusicWeb.  Following Hartman's advice, I went to the Tiroler Landesmuseen website to check what Rufinatscha they had currently available.  Several emails later, museum secretary Silvia Eller informed me that they are having a christmas campaign from the 3th December 2017 to the 6th January 2018 and that if your order in this time you can get all CD with 50% discount.  Thought this was something all you Rufinatscha fans would like to know and at the same time get my 'probie' status upgraded sooner than what is usually normal. 

I am just a good-old-boy from Arkansas who happens to like classical romantic music along with his Glen Campbell.

hyperdanny

thanks razorback, I was just checking the museum's website yesterday, because I didn't know exactly when the annual sale would begin..I still have some of their cd's left to buy!
..and welcome aboard (even if I am probably the newest member here aside from you  ;))