Joseph Mayseder

Started by mikehopf, Wednesday 19 April 2017, 07:13

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Joseph Mayseder

Kammermusik Vol. 1
Lissy Quartett
CD 
Variationen über "Souvenir a Baden" op. 63 für Klavierquartett; Variationen op. 24 & 57 für Klavierquartett; Divertimento op. 35 für Violine & Klavier
Künstler: Lissy Quartett
Label: Gramola, DDD, 2016
Bestellnummer: 6486176
Erscheinungstermin: 18.4.201

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Oh, hello -- A lot of chamber music - 7 at least string quartets, 4 at least string quintets - if they're serious about that "Vol. 1". Thanks!

semloh

Yes, Eric, let's hope it's "the start of something big!"

Sharkkb8

Quote from: semloh on Sunday 23 April 2017, 00:04
Yes, Eric, let's hope it's "the start of something big!"

Vol. 2 just now being released.  String Quartets #5 and 6.

https://www.mdt.co.uk/mayseder-joseph-chamber-music-vol-2-lissy-quartett-gramola.html

Gregory

eschiss1

the parts of one or both of those two are on IMSLP I think. Would be nice to hear:)

matesic

The link to Vol 2 implies the players are the Lissy Quartett as for Vol 1, but the disc cover (on NML) identifies the Mayseder Quartett whose first violin is Raimund Lissy!  You have to admire their dedication, or are all the other names used up? The first violin has to negotiate some pretty tricky contortions but musically it seems pretty standard "quatuor brillant" stuff with occasional echoes of Schubert. Actually not so surprising given the pieces both come from early in Mayseder's career.

eschiss1

if volume 1 and soon hopefully vol 2 is already on NML, I'll have a listen soon. Thanks. I used to avoid the quatuor brillant sound unheard until it occurred to me that both the Spohr op.33 - I adore both of them - are that to some extent, especially the E-flat. Of course I expect the adjective "standard" is the important thing and that Mayseder was no Spohr, but I hope for good things anyway while understanding they're more likely found elsewhere :)

Sharkkb8

Volume 3 is on the horizon, containing violin concertos. 

Violin Concerto No. 1 in A Minor, Op. 22

Violin Concerto No. 3 in D Major, Op. 28

Violin Concertino No. 2 in E Major, Op. 53

At the Naxos site it merely says "physical release 2018", but a search on iTunes (USA) reveals that it's available for pre-order, and date "expected" is Sept 7. 

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=Gramola99181

Alan Howe

jonfrohnen

Listening to the concerto #1 right now, very dramatic  8)

Alan Howe

This is a really beautiful CD. Mayseder's VCs aren't mere showpieces, but contain some glorious melodies as well as some highly dramatic - and adventurous - writing. In my view they're among the most significant early 19thC VCs. And, as I indicated before, the solo playing, though clean and accurate, isn't HIP - and the orchestral playing is warm and supportive. Highly recommended!

eschiss1

For those following this series, I see volume 4 has been announced (quartet no.2 Op.6 and quintet (typo on Naxos page :) ) no.2 Op.51 in G and A minor). I still have heard very little of it- so far.  Intending to. I have a soft spot for the time period generally-speaking-very, and what I've seen of the music in print hasn't hurt. (Apologies for the huge time gap.)

Santo Neuenwelt

Years ago, we found a better copy of the Mayseder String Quintet No.2 Op.51 in Budapest than what is currently available on IMSLP. Raimund Lissy after hearing the soundbites we had made of it by a mixed group of amateurs and pros sight reading, bought a copy from us and made his recording from it.(http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/mayseder-string-quintet2.htm) Lissy is a nice fellow. The other players of the Lissy Quartet are all members of the Vienna Phil. (the soundbites on our website, obviously, are not from his group but by ours)

There is a super performance on Youtube of Lissy and Adela Frasineanu of the Mayseder Duo for two violins, Op.32. By the way, the Mayseder Op.51 is a fun piece to play. I was one of the players who helped to make the soundbites. I think it is probably the best of his five string quintets. There is also a Mayserder website which is very interesting.

Mark Thomas

I must say that I found the violin concertos a delight: charming, urbane, melodious and never dull. So much so that I've just bought the two preceding recordings of his chamber music.