Respighi Piano Concerto

Started by sdtom, Friday 21 April 2017, 20:57

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Just received a new recording on the Centaur label (crc 3562) of an early work of Respighi (1902) of a 25 minute piano concerto. This is news to me as I guess I have his popular woks and nothing else. Any thoughts?

Gareth Vaughan

This has been recorded before (very well) by Geoffrey Tozer with the BBC Philharmonic under Edward Downes on Chandos (CHAN 9285) in 1994. This disk is still available and in MP3 download. I wonder how it compares with this new Centaur release.

Sharkkb8

JimL

Respighi studied in Russia, and the early A minor Piano Concerto sounds very heavily influenced by Rimsky-Korsakov.  Myself, I don't think it is any the worse for it.

eschiss1

http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Ottorino_Respighi - this list should give some small idea of how extensive Respighi's output is beyond the well-known works you refer to (though of course more than just that list is needful to give breadth and depth too.) It's largely in Italian but should still be useful?

kolaboy

I tend to prefer this early concerto over his later one. And the Chandos recording - which I've lived with for more than twenty years - is great.

sdtom

Not familiar with the recordings you're talking about but I can say that Pompa-Baldi seems to be spot on.