Eugenie-Emilie Juliette Folville 1870-1946

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 22 April 2017, 14:11

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Eugenie-Emilie Juliette Folville  Born 5.1.1870 Liege  Died 19 or 28.10.1946 Dourgne, France

She began studying music with her father who was an amateur musician.  Juliette then went on to study at the Liege Conservatoire, for violin with Ovid Musin, Charles Malherbe and Cesar Thomson for counterpoint.  She made her performing debut in Liege at the age of nine.  She subsequently went to Paris and studied composition with Jean-Theodore Radoux and piano with Eraim-Miriam Delaborde1.  From about 1897 she taught piano at the Liege Conservatoire, combining this with performing.  Some of her music has been likened to that of Jules Massenet.

In 1914 she came to England and settled in Bournemouth where she taught music as well as giving concerts both there and in London.  About 1930 she returned to Belgium

Orchestra

Symphony
Suite No.1 Scenes champetres for orchestra: In the Fields,  In the Mountains, Dreams, Village Feast.  Op.9  1885
Suite No.2 Scenes from the Sea:  Song of the Fisherman, Starry Night, Phosphorescent Sea, Agitated Waves, Farewell to the Ocean.  Op.14  1886
Suite No.3  Winter Scenes;  Ballad, The Snow, Christmas, Carnival  Op.17  1887
Symphonic poem 'Ocean Nox
Piano Concerto in D minor  1924
Violin concerto  in G minor  Op.20  1888
Triptyque for cello and orchestra 
Concertstuck for cello and orchestra  1905
Equisse Symphonic

Chamber

Piano quartet 
Violin sonata
Lullaby for violin and piano  1884
Triptyque for violin and piano
Poetic suite for violin and piano
Mazurka for violin and piano
Berceuse for violin
Morceau de concert for cello and piano  (also for two pianos)

Piano

Piano sonata No.1  1881
Piano Sonata No2.  1882
'In the Ardennes' sketches for piano

Song

Spring songs two books, 'Rapelle toi, Berceuse.  1883-4

Choral

'Eva' drama for soprano, choir and piano
Noce au Village  cantata  Op.13  1886
Chant de Noel for chorus and orchestra  1887
Offertoire sur le theme de Lauda Sion
Motets a Capella

Organ

Les Matres Contemporains de l'orgue lll  1911
Verset sur le theme du Tantum (Voubert)
Communion 

There are 24 works for organ

Opera

'Attala'   libretto by Paul Collin pub. Leopold Muraille, Liege

Theatre

John de Chimay  incidental music  1905

1. Delaborde was the illegitimate son of the pianist Alkan

FBerwald

Wonderful ... another forgotten Female composer waiting to be discovered. Any idea regarding the state / fate of the score and quality of her music?

eschiss1

Worldcat lists as many as 30 published/manuscript works at a glance, not sure how many -offhand- are duplicates or reductions.

4candles

Many of Folville's works are held in the library of the Conservatoire de Liège. I have been trying to drum up some interest in some of her works for a few years now.

Gareth Vaughan

Unfortunately, I cannot locate full score or parts of either the symphony or the piano concerto. The latter seems to be available in reduction (or it may be just the solo piano part). I believe it was published by B&H, so it is possible they still have a set of parts in their archive, I suppose. Maybe the symphony remained in MS and is now lost.

eschiss1

She was also incidentally the dedicatee of two works by César Cui.

semloh

Yes, another forgotten yet prolific female composer. I can't find mention online of any performance or recording of any of her music.  :(