Album Cover Hall of Shame

Started by albion, Monday 16 August 2010, 07:18

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Not strictly limited to new recordings, could members provide links to what they regard as the more ill-conceived album covers in their collections? My initial vote would go to anything from EMI Angel which features that revolting rotund cherub squatting on a golden disc (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zemlinsky-Symphonies-Nos-1-2/dp/B000CNEO0M/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281939313&sr=8-11) - truly awful.  :P

Mark Thomas

Pengelli

I can't stand them,either. The dog with the horn was such a great design,iconic & witty.
I was recently looking at the new/old Supraphon release of Fibich's 'Sarka' and thinking how terrible that was,also their release of Smetana's 'Libuse'. It's as if they can't even be bothered. Yet some of their old designs were really good. For example their design for Dvorak's 'The Spectre's Bride' & Novak's 'The Storm'. Spooky!!!
Worst of all,have to be some of those DG covers of Herbert von Karajan on his motorbike & posing next to his private jet,(or plane,I can't remember). I also seem to remember one with him wearing a terrible black leather jacket & some disco type lighting (Saturday Nacht Fervour?)in the background? They were up on the internet somewhere,but I can't seem to find them now.
At the other extreme,I reckon that cpo's choice of the William Trost Richards painting for their first Holbrooke release  couldn't have been better or more appropriate in terms of atmosphere. It almost makes me wish Lp's were still around. I would have propped it up in front of me,while I listened. (The Dutton's good too.I like their use of those old posters. What will they do when they eventually run out?)

albion

Quote from: Kriton on Monday 16 August 2010, 16:02

How about this one. What were they thinking over at Erato?

Oh, sweet Lord, what an abomination. Now, that's the kind of thing I was thinking of - inept, utterly tasteless and mirth- (or vomit-) inducing. There must be more of the same lurking out there - or could there be worse?   :o

Kriton

I have something else, utterly tasteless as well, but I can't figure out how to upload pictures here...

Kriton

Just remembered, the American (what else?) label Crystal Records is rather famous for its covers. After seeing one or two, I thought the musicians were allowed to create there own cover art. After seeing the whole bunch, I started suspecting that someone over at Crystal (which is a rather fine label, actually) is probably having the time of his life creating covers that will contrast to the "normal" classical music CDs, and make people buy the CDs out of pure curiosity...

Some examples:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=52568

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=52611

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=222762

albion

Quote from: Kriton on Monday 16 August 2010, 18:42
Crystal Records is rather famous for its covers. After seeing one or two, I thought the musicians were allowed to create there own cover art. After seeing the whole bunch, I started suspecting that someone over at Crystal (which is a rather fine label, actually) is probably having the time of his life creating covers that will contrast to the "normal" classical music CDs, and make people buy the CDs out of pure curiosity...

Excellent (if that's the correct adjective) - the words 'budget' and 'shoestring' spring to mind, closely followed by 'tat' and 'pile of old'.

Pengelli

It did make me laugh,Kriton.
The bassoon one reminded me of that old Thomas Beecham quote,although it didn't involve a bassoon. It's just the way the things situated between her legs.

albion

What's wrong with that? The man has given pleasure to millions (well, maybe numbers into double figures).

Pengelli

Des O'Connor! Does he fit in here? An unsung singer......you just wish he wouldn't!
The Westminster Gold record sleeves really are absolutely hilarious. Encore!
But no Ken Dodd records,please.

Pengelli

mbhaub

Oh Albion....such memories. I treasured those Westminsters. I also recall the frumpy Sleeping Beauty, the Carmen suites, and the complete Ring (was is Swarowski?) with VW hubcaps adorning Brunnhilde.

The most utterly tasteless cds I know of were on RCA - the Wagner operas as orchestral suites collection. There were three of them in stark black and white and very, very provocative.

Now I have to go to that previously unknown Westminster site and see what else is there!