Charles-Marie Widor forgotten orchestral works

Started by dmitterd, Friday 05 May 2017, 01:44

Previous topic - Next topic

dmitterd

Hi Everyone,
I thought the board might be interested in a project my co-editor and I have been working on for the last year or so. Since completing our edition of Widor's complete works for piano (and trying not to lose hope that someone might be brave enough to record them!) in 2014, we have turned our attention to Widor's forgotten orchestral works. The four we have edited and published so far are his Ouverture portugaise (prepared from the only known source, in the Biblioteca da Ajuda, Portugal), effectively his Op. 0. Scored for organ concertante, orchestra and wind ensemble, this effective single-movement work points towards greater things to come.

Also recently released is his Ouverture espagnole, a jaunty work, the only extant movement from a five-movement Suite pittoresque. From his stage works we have issued a new edition of his Conte d'Avril, Op. 64 - incidental music for a comedie-en-verse by Auguste Dorchain. Our edition includes revisions made by Widor post-publication and on the whole, it is exceedingly well-written. Also available is the charming suite from his ballet La Korrigane Op. 45a, which by 1896 had clocked up over 100 performances at the Paris Opéra.

Those interested can view sample pages from the scores via http://www.crescendomusicpubs.com.au

There are plans afoot for a recording with one of the BBC orchestras, as part of Dutton's ongoing series covering Widor's orchestral works, later this year. Exciting times!

cheers,
Daniel Mitterdorfer

Gareth Vaughan

A splendid enterprise, heartily to be applauded. I like Widor's music very much.

dmitterd

I hope it's OK to post a follow-up to this topic. The Unsung folk might be interested to note that the University of Melbourne Symphony Orchestra have recorded Widor's Ouverture portugaise (1865), for orchestra, wind ensemble and organ. The recording is freely available on SoundCloud and can be listened to here - https://soundcloud.com/user-167475557/ouverture-portugaise

cheers,
Daniel

TerraEpon

Orchestra, wind ensemble and orchestra?

:D

(I assume that should be "and organ")

tpaloj

About "Salvum fac populum tuum" Op.84 (for organ and brass)... the composer also arranged it in a version for full orchestra.  BNF has digitized the manuscript and it's available at their website, but I don't think it's been published yet.  Do you happen to have plans to publish that orchestral version at some point?

Gerhard Griesel

My praise for all involved. You have done humanity a great favour. This is great. The work is beautiful, and the unusual combination of instruments is refreshing.

dmitterd

Indeed - organ (I've amended the post) - blame tiredness on my part!

Many thanks for the kind words! Yes, a typeset edition of the orchestral version of Salvum fac populum tuum is currently underway - I'm hoping to have it completed by August. The compilation of a seven-volume set of his complete piano works has consumed a great deal of time and effort.

tpaloj

QuoteMany thanks for the kind words! Yes, a typeset edition of the orchestral version of Salvum fac populum tuum is currently underway - I'm hoping to have it completed by August. The compilation of a seven-volume set of his complete piano works has consumed a great deal of time and effort.

It's not a long work, but frighteningly thick in notes-per-page, so good luck. Thank you for all your hard work, dmitterd, both with these orchestral works but with the piano oeuvre as well.