Kunneke Piano concerto

Started by Rob H, Sunday 14 May 2017, 15:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

I was in touch with publisher Edda Wrede in late August last year in connection with another composer, and she replied to my email inquiry very quickly and also said I could phone her, which I did. So contacting her should not end in a long frustrating wait as is sometimes the case...

Gareth Vaughan

Alan's post noting that the MS partitur is lost does not sound encouraging. If,  however, the work was ever performed it is possible the publisher may have a set of parts.  But I am not sanguine. 

Wheesht

Neither am I, but I have now written to them anyway – just on the off-chance.

Gareth Vaughan

Well done - and thank you very much.

Alan Howe

Wheesht

The reply has just come in: all they have is a version for two pianos of this work in one movement. They didn't say how substantial (how long) the piece is - and no trace of a set of parts...

eschiss1

There's at least one book about Künneke, Schneidereit's "Eduard Künneke, der Komponist aus Dingsda" (Berlin : Henschelverlag, 1978). Does anyone have a copy, does it mention a 2nd piano concerto?
Ah, hrm, ok, more to the point, "Eduard Künneke (1885-1953) : Komponistenportrait und Werkverzeichnis" (Ries & Erler, 1995.)

(I'll see if I can't interloan that latter book. Request put in, will see if the libraries that have the book work with my local library...)

Wheesht

There is a copy of the 1995 book in Zurich, in the reference section and thus not available for interloan, but I could have a look at it when I'm next in Zurich.
Wrede publishers suggested in a second reply that the GEMA could be contacted, although they didn't sound very hopeful.

Alan Howe

So, it is as we surmised - probably only the reduction has survived. But one lives in hope...

eschiss1

No free interloan available of the 1995 book anyway...

adriano

The new cpo recording features the same work, which Koch-Schwann had produced in 1998, i.e. "Klavierkonzert Nr. 1 (1935)". That is an excellent performance, by the way!

FBerwald

Just a matter of Opinion but I found the Koch-Schwann recording lacking a bit performance wise. The slacking of tempo in the thrilling Piano Introduction and dynamics made me feel instantly that it could have been done a bit better [just my opinion]. On the other hand I found the rendition by Ernst August Quelle to be excellent.

Wheesht

I have finally had a chance to look at the 1995 Ries & Erler Werkverzeichnis, but it does not mention the whereabouts of any score, unfortunately.

eschiss1

Are we talking about the first concerto? I think that's rented by Birnbach ("Lochham Berlin Richard Birnbach Musikverlag, Administration: Ed. Intro Meisel") according to D-NB not by Ries & Erler? (Though admittedly if it's a werkverzeichnis of all works of the composer, not just those rented by R&E, that wouldn't matter, true...)

Wheesht

I was referring to the second concerto in one movement.  Regina/Wrede publishers have this only in a two-piano reduction and as such it is listed in the composer portrait and list of works published by Ries & Erler.