News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

F. Lachner Symphony No.1

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 25 May 2017, 22:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Remember the old Marco Polo CD featuring Lachner 1 and Spohr 2, featuring the Singapore Symphony Orchestra under Choo Hoey? Well, it's actually rather fine - especially the very exciting performance of Lachner's 1st Symphony of 1828.

Does anyone else have the Lachner? If you do, perhaps you haven't given it a spin lately...

alberto

I have. I don't listen it since many years and I will follow your suggestion. I remember that in those old days Marco Polo used extensively the Singapore Orchestra, which sounded adequate.

Alan Howe

It is instructive to compare Lachner's fine first effort with Rufinatscha's 1st of just six years later. Rufinatscha's symphony is much more adventurous harmonically and much richer orchestrally. I enjoy them both, but it's like comparing a very fine composer with a much more adventurous one. Any thoughts anyone?

Alan Howe

...mind you, there's an irresistible élan about the finale of Lachner 1...

eschiss1

Incidentally:

there's some small amount of information (not yet much) about the 1828 autograph of the 1st symphony @ RISM online (along with- different place- a digitized early draft, later discarded in favor of the current movement, of the slow movement of his 6th symphony- uploaded this awhile ago to IMSLP without knowing quite what it was, but there's an explanation there now; and other material about his symphonies, some of which is in Fifield's book, which I've now put in an interloan request for- hopefully not everyone has it in reserve stacks. :) )

Complete recordings under insightful and effective conductors and orchestras of both cycles would, I of course agree, be a good thing.

eschiss1

Just was reminded that the Lachner 1st has been republished in full score this year by MPH Munich...