Konradin Kreutzer (1780-1849)

Started by sdtom, Friday 26 May 2017, 23:09

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Kreutzer: Septet, Op. 62 - Trio, Op. 43
Composer(s):   Kreutzer, Conradin
Artist(s):   Reissenberger, Benjamin; Himmelpfortgrund; Koch, Tobias; Azzolini, Sergio
Label:   CPO (CPO)
I was given this work as one of my choices to review next month. How does he fit into the forum if at all? I'm fairly busy as Naxos sent me the 30CD in 30 years box which is a lot of listening. By the way I saw the price on this at $34.00 a pretty good price.

Mark Thomas

Judging by the Septet, I'd say that he's very much on the borderline, but I'd give him the benfit of the doubt. The caste of some of his material has a romantic edge to it, but his treatment of it in most of the movements is much more reminiscent of the late 18th century, as is his harmonic language.

eschiss1

Both works by Conradin K. (Conradin is unrelated to thread subject Rodolphe, by the way, except by name!) have, I think, been recorded a few times; if you have access to the Arte Nova (label) recording of the same two pieces made by Paul Rivinius and the Mithras Octet back 3 decades ago, and/or a Berlin Classics recording of the Septet released in 1995; a Jecklin recording of the Trio with two other works- let's say that a comparative review (one of -my- favorite kinds, personally :) ) is quite possible here if only because there's enough recordings for comparison...

Erm, I can understand thread drift on page 10 of a thread (going from Rodolphe Kreutzer (1766-1831) to Conradin Kreutzer (1780-1849)- the latter's operas, (Nachtlager!!!) iirc, are part of the Romantic tradition whether or not his chamber works are, btw)- but in the very first post... well...

eschiss1

Alan - I expect you'll find that with some Saint-Saëns (the ballet music to Henry VIII, with its evocations of Tudor music. If that part of Saint-Saëns were all we knew by him then we might jettison him under ze ruuuules. (Which I sometimes suspect of having been largely written by a member of a particular faction in the "War of the Romantics", late 19th-century English edition, Groves variety, but - well, no matter no mind.)

Mark Thomas

You may lay your suspicions aside, Eric, they are entirely unfounded.  :)

eschiss1

Mark Thomas

sdtom

I'll see how my schedule goes for me. My job at Naxos is soundtrack material  and jazz material. Will see if I have a day next month (takes me that long to review a CD)

eschiss1

Anyhow, is this thread specifically meant for discussion of that recording or of music by the various Kreutzers  related-or-not (Konradin, Léon, Rodolphe, ...) in general? A very interesting group of families, imho (some more than others, of course. Léon Kreutzer, for example, left some substantial and ambitious looking chamber (6-odd string quartets, for instance), orchestral, concertante and operatic music, mostly in manuscript but some published- I don't know whether his output is worth reviving, yet, but I know I'd like at least a second opinion on it. (Some of this is @ IMSLP.)

Alan Howe

Thanks for the nudge, Eric. This thread was mis-named from the start: I have now rectified that. But do start a new thread if you wish to discuss the music of, say, Léon.

Alan Howe

At jpc.de several CDs of music by Konradin are listed:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/artistgenre/Konradin+Kreutzer/15961251
...of which the disc of sacred music sounds particularly enticing.

mikehopf

Konradin is one of my very favourite composers.

I've had the CD of his sacred music since it was issued.  However, I was disappointed by the lacklustre performance of the beautiful " Messkircher" Mass which paled beside the earlier Koch Schwann LP version.

For opera lovers,  Das Nachtlager von Granada seems to be his only commercially available opera. I have a recording of his earlier Die Alpenhutte and was delighted to find that there are two performances of Der Verschwender on youtube : the better one cast with children .

eschiss1

Or Nachtlager in Granada, to use the title it had on most (though not all) German-language publications in the 19th century, I think.