News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

August Reuss

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 27 May 2017, 22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I think we've been concentrating on the wrong Reuss all along (back when we were, a few years back, listening curiously to Prinz Heinrich v Reuss' compositions and being, I admit, mostly generally somewhat disappointed, though I enjoyed his 2nd string sextet...)

Has anyone heard anything by August Reuss? Was just looking at his piano trio in F Op.30 just uploaded (thanks afp0815, if you're a member here, or of course even if not) over @ IMSLP (published 1913).

Probably at the edges of this forum (very middle Reger!) but that may be part of what I like about the look of it- capricious* high chromaticism combined with, at least from the score skimmed anyway, strong expressive Romanticism - and it looks much more interesting, involved, and inventive than Heinrich Reuss' music...

*capricious-looking, maybe, except for the scherzo where it's just capricious-sounding. I just mean more floating in key than some Romantics (not more than some others...). I haven't given the score -that- much of a look yet, and I'm probably being premature about this- sorry- but I already have a notion that that decision to open a F major (minor?) trio somewhere on/in/sort-of D-flat major (G-flat C A-flat G-flat F E-flat are the first few notes, played in unison/octaves) aren't capricious but know exactly what they're doing. (Not an unprecedented sort of thing, of course...)

eschiss1

(Unfortunately I only see one recent commercial recording with works by August Reuss, one with his wind octet Op.37- coupled with works by Karl Goepfart (quartet Op.93 in D minor) and Heinrich Schmid's wind quintet Op.28 - and even that's from 12 years ago.)

jerfilm

Was there also an Edward Reuss (1851-1911) ?? I have a cassette tape of a Piano Concerto after Liszt by him........

J

eschiss1

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI have a cassette tape of a Piano Concerto after Liszt by him

This will be the Concerto Pathetique by Liszt, composed initially as a piece for solo piano called Grosses Konzertsolo. Liszt then arranged it for 2 pianos (without orchestra). Reuss subsequently arranged the orchestral accompaniment.

eschiss1

Iirc Eduard Reuss' was also an author , and made editions and arrangements of quite a few other works including the slow movement of the C major symphony of Wagner. Also a teacher (w Draeseke of Evelyn Faltys eg).

Simon

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 27 May 2017, 22:31
(Unfortunately I only see one recent commercial recording with works by August Reuss, one with his wind octet Op.37- coupled with works by Karl Goepfart (quartet Op.93 in D minor) and Heinrich Schmid's wind quintet Op.28 - and even that's from 12 years ago.)

I've listened to this recording this morning. The (very short) liner notes describe his music as part of the "Straussian School" (Reuss studied with Ludwig Thuille in Munich, so no surprise there). In my view, the Octet is a rather dark work, even though it is in B major. Maybe it is because of the chromaticism, or the very contrapuntal style by moments. I would certainly not call it an immediate ear-catcher, I believe a few listenings could be useful. Definitely not in the same mood as Strauss' late wind Sonatinas, though the general orchestration does have some similarities.

eschiss1

Well, so long as the composer has sufficient idea of the value of relative tensions and contrasts, I'm (still) intrigued (and I see the recording on NML, so I will make a note to satisfy my own curiosity. Several H. Reuss recordings there too, yes.)

Thank you.