Viardot violin sonatas

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 01 June 2017, 22:46

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Upcoming next month from Naxos: 3 violin sonatas from Paul Viardot, with a violin sonatina by Pauline Viardot-Garcia.

Alan Howe

Oh, that's an attractive proposition - thanks, Eric.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Yummo? Is that a Gloucestershire word?  ;)

Mark Thomas

It embarrasses me to say that I believe it to be an American slang term meaning tasty, popularised by a TV food personality there called Rachael Ray. Oh, the shame !

Gareth Vaughan

In the context of food and America I have also encountered "Scrummo" - but not, as yet "Yummo-Scrummo!" Doubtless that will make an appearance ere long. But enough of this culinary diversion.

Gareth Vaughan

Quelle horreur! Cluck, cluck!

Mark Thomas

Oh, ye gods. What have I started?  :-[

Alan Howe

Well, looks like the Aussies started it actually, so all is forgiven. And with that........

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Records International's description is interesting though they got Viardot's death date wrong (1941, not 1921- which helps explain how he could write a 3rd violin sonata in 1931, 10 years after his alleged "1921" death date. Though actually 1931 is the year it was published by Senart, according to IMSLP, not necessarily the year it was composed. ... Whatever!)

semloh

Well, looks like the Aussies started it actually, so all is forgiven. And with that........

Yes, yet another clever addition to the Australian cultural lexicon. Viardot is bonza, though, 'cos it already ends in 'o'.

Viardot entirely new to me, and UC opens up yet another avenue to explore.