Percy Sherwood Symphony No.3

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 12 June 2017, 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

As I indicated in another thread, I have a computer-generated rendition of the 1st movement of Sherwood's 3rd Symphony in E flat (1905-7). It is an absolutely magnificent movement lasting approx. 12 minutes in what one might call the 'heroic' vein. The autograph full score is in the Bodleian Library in Oxford.

Fascinatingly, the score reads 'Highcliffe, UK/Dresden'. Highcliffe-on-Sea is a seaside resort in the county of Dorset on England's south coast where he seems to have enjoyed holidays in the first decade of the 20th century. Dresden, of course, was where he taught at the conservatoire from 1893, becoming a Professor in 1911.

Might this be something for Martin Yates to investigate? I have the score on an officially-produced CD from the Bodleian.

Gareth Vaughan

I think there would be no harm in sending it to Martin Yates and asking for his opinion. He might well be interested.

Alan Howe

I'll get to that later in the week - thanks, Gareth,

minacciosa

I'm very glad you were able to hear Sherwood's voice clearly through that Garritan PO realization I did. I haven't gotten around to the other movements as yet, though I may still as the entire work strikes me as one that would be warmly received. Had I my own orchestra I would program it readily.

Alan Howe

Well, you did a great job. The music comes shining through - thank you!