Turina and Cassadò violin sonatas

Started by pedrito, Friday 16 June 2017, 08:42

Previous topic - Next topic

pedrito

On saturday 8th of july I will be performing the second violin sonata by Joaquin Turina, the so-called "sonate espagnole", together with the violin sonata of the Catalan cellist, composer and pupil-friend of Pablo Casals, Gaspar Cassadò. I believe that especially the Cassado is very unsung, although there is one video of it on youtube. It is a sunny, quite Spanish-flavoured piece in 3 movements, approximately 16minutes in duration, well written for the violin but horribly written for piano :-) But we are having a lot of fun with it. I bought the last copy of the score that universal edition had in stock, but got a reduction because the score had laid there on the shelf for so long that the colors on the front page were already faded... imagine how big the demand is for such a piece, maybe one score sold every ten years? Has anyone ever heard the piece? live or on broadcast?
the concert is in the small Dutch village of Tholen at 15h30, and entry is free. Apart from these two Spanish works we also perform Grieg's first violin sonata. All details in the link below
http://keldermansconcerten.nl/programma-20162017/?ai1ec_page_offset=0&ai1ec_active_event=1198
Hope to see you there !
pedrito

minacciosa

That's a terrific program. I love that Turina sonata. I don't know the Cassado, but will find the Youtube performance.

Merde!