News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Herbert Brewer

Started by Reverie, Tuesday 18 June 2019, 16:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

Hello. New user here.

Sir Alfred Herbert Brewer (21 June 1865 – 1 March 1928) was an English composer and organist. I have completed an orchestration of his March Heroique (1915). Although it was written for organ when I saw the score I felt it needed a richer canvas so to speak.

Shades of Elgar very much in evidence I think. Have a listen please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WHOQ-b26o&t=29s

dmitterd

Well done - definitely shades of Elgar, especially in the French horns! I've admired Brewer's work for some time and this is a welcome orchestration.

cheers,
Daniel

semloh

I know nothing of Brewer's music, except the performances of this piece on YT. I think orchestration works well. For one thing, it slows  it down a little and creates a more noble (and Elgarian) effect.

Reverie

I have re-worked the Elegy (1916) and set it for string orchestra.

In my opinion it's as good as anything Elgar wrote despite its brevity (just short of 4 minutes)

Any views?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy3dJwLqc4A

Gareth Vaughan

Yes, well done indeed. A lovely orchestration of the Marche Heroique. Two points: you could bring some subtle brass into the restatement of the trio theme, which would add grandeur and gravitas, and using less cymbal on pp. 12-13 will give greater effect. The cymbal becomes predictable and tiresome if used too often and too obviously.

Reverie

Thanks. Have you listened to the Elegy (post above mine)  ?

dhibbard

Mark Thomas

The Elegy is very well done, restrained yet quite beautiful. Congratulations. The Marche Heroique is also an impressive job, although I would respectfully support both Gareth's suggestions, which would underline the swaggering, Edwardian tone of the piece.

Gareth Vaughan

I have now listened to the Elegy, which is lovely, but I think you may need to look at the string textures. It seems to my ears a bit too literal, if you know what I mean, and thus still sounds like an organ piece. What you want to achieve is something that does not remind the listener of its origins but gives the impression it was conceived for strings - not easy, I know. So  well done anyway. I think it is worth persevering with.

Reverie

Thanks all for the constructive comments. Food for thought.