Martin Scherber Symphony 2 CD available again!!

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 16 June 2017, 12:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Quoteit does not appear to be on the Sterling website

Nor is the Beliczay release.

Mark Thomas

Bo is now a member here, so maybe he'll be able to confirm availability.

sdtom

Naxos has made the first as a download full of errors (drat) but I need to listen to it more.
Tom
PS I've been real sick with Irritably Bowel Syndrome which put me in the hospital for a few weeks. I lost 40 pounds, yikes

Alan Howe

Oh, I'm sure we're all very sorry to hear that. Are you now back home and recovering?

adriano

Will tell Bo about those downloads,
I feel sorry to hear about your health problem, sdtom. Let's call ourselves brothers! I am suffering from irritable bowels/colon since ages. Besides this, with old age, various food intolerances joined the fun... We are also "bowels brothers" of Beethoven, Tchaikovsky & Co. This is also a proof that wer are over-sensitive, and, last but not least, irritable bowels people don't get intestine cancer.
And read this:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/aug/04/mark-ravenhill-intolerance-opera

(writing now for Alan: "Let's go back to the theme...") 8)

Alan Howe

Not to worry. I suffer from IBS too! Too much information on my part, so back to the topic!!!!

Ilja

Although I like the symphony, I have to admit I would have preferred to be able to download *just* the symphony in iTunes, without getting the other works as well. Normally I don't find this a huge problem, but the remainder of this disc is in such a different genre (lieder with piano accompaniment) that it leads to a weirdly hybrid combination.

Despite that minor moan, I'm glad to now have all the symphonies by this odd composer.

adriano

I know, Ilja, but there was no other choice. Scherber did not write other works for orchestra. And I did not want to have him coupled with another composer; anway, this would have caused 50% less sponsoring - and made the CD impossible. It's a fully sponsored production, the merit goes to the Brucknerkreis, and only in third place to Sterling. I dare to place myself in the second place...

der79sebas

...and I place myself in the fourth place, acting as Nokia between you and the Brucknerkreis :-)

adriano

I see I am watched, I must be careful what I say :-)
Hi to you, my Vienna friend; so let's give you the third place instead, if you agree...

sdtom

you're too modest Adriano. First place belongs to you.

Ilja

Quote from: hadrianus on Saturday 03 February 2018, 16:47
I know, Ilja, but there was no other choice. Scherber did not write other works for orchestra. And I did not want to have him coupled with another composer; anway, this would have caused 50% less sponsoring - and made the CD impossible. It's a fully sponsored production, the merit goes to the Brucknerkreis, and only in third place to Sterling. I dare to place myself in the second place...

I understand; it would hardly be possible to find a suitable composer for a combination, anyway. Büttner perhaps, but even then...

ptan54

A longtime lurker, first time poster. 
I have discovered so many hidden classics from Sterling & CPO and other labels via this forum!
Have just purchased the Martin Scherber symphony #1 Sterling release on iTunes.
Wishing that symphonies #2 and #3 were available on iTunes as well! 
And +1 to Paul Buttner - I have the Sterling Buttner #4 on iTunes, here's to hoping for #1-3 at some point in future!

semloh

Nice to hear from you, ptan54. Welcome to non-lurking!

adriano

As already mentioned in another posting, a new (and excellent) recording of Scherber's Third will be available on CD soon. Christoph Schlüren is the conductor of this world premier concert performance, which took place in Barcelona last December.
Will let you know more details in due time.
I still have a small left-over stock of this Symphony's older recording by the Cascade label.