Martin Scherber Symphony 2 CD available again!!

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 16 June 2017, 12:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

sdtom

QuoteThanks, Alan :-)
Will be coming back soon regarding eventual "tracks" or "sections" in Symphony No. 2.
I have the score of Symphony 3 in front of me. This is another Scherber-typical one movement affair, but on the last page there is a metioning about 12 "members", with indications on which page each would start, and these are mainly in places without stops. However, these are not in the composer's handwriting and may have been done posthumously.

Is it possible to get #1 and #3?

eschiss1

Er, what?? That looked like a quote.

Maybe the last line of the quote was your question? Maybe if you edit your quote to make that clearer, next time. Or maybe not. Up to you!

One may be able to borrow or view the scores of the symphonies from/at:

Symphony no.1 (1938 rev. 1952) - (Bosannek edition) French National Library, Openbare Bibliotheek Amsterdam, Musik-Akademie der Stadt Basel, University of Calgary Library , U. of Edinburgh Main Library, University of Manchester Library, Universitätsbibliothek Würzburg, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Universitat Zürich, Swiss National Library @ Bern, New England Conservatory of Music Harriet Spaulding Library @ Boston, Boston University Mugar Memorial Library, Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries (Richmond), Northwestern University Library, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Library, Monroe Library @ Loyola University New Orleans, University of Manitoba Libraries (Winnipeg), Seattle Pacific University Library, San Francisco Conservatory of Music Library, Leabharlann Náisiúnta na hÉireann (National Library of Ireland) @ Dublin, University of Bristol Library, British Library St Pancras, University of Cape Town Libraries , University of Auckland, General Library, State Library of Victoria, University of Adelaide, Royal Danish Library - Aarhus, LIBRIS Sweden, Bibliothèque Cantonale et Universitaire - Lausanne, Université de Montréal, U. Sorbonne Library Paris4, etc.

The score of symphony 1 is being offered by a 3rd party for USD95 over amazon.com. The 2nd and 3rd symphony published scores are somewhat more expensive.

Alan Howe

adriano

Thanks, eschiss1 :-)
In the meantime we found out in the late Friedmann Kurras's archive that he and his circle had provided for facsimile prints of all 3 Symphonies and even made a list of all the Libraries he had sent free copies. That costed the Brucknerkreis a fortune, since they made hundreds of copies - all nicely linen-bound!
There are still many copies left in Friedwart's cellar. Depending on what you members in here would be willing to pay over 50 Euros (excl. postage), I could arrange despatches. It is obvious that only Libraries and Universities are entitled to get free copies.

sdtom

That was a quote from Hadrianus
I only asked for #1 and #3 and still haven't been given an answer yet.

adriano

Well, sdtom, that was meant as an answer for you too :-)
Suppose you mean scores - and not the CDs...

Alan Howe

adriano

In this case, sdtom, I confirm having still a small stock of both Symphonies 2 and 3 for sale - for 15.00 Pds each including postage. Orders can be placed via private messenger in here, indicating your address - and I will communicate my my IBAN account. The Brucknerkreis Nürnberg has still some 150 copies of Symphony No. 2 in their own stock, but the CD with Symphony 3 is practically sold-out. Presently I am trying to have them distributed by Wyastone/Sterling - and wait for an answer/offer.

sdtom

sdtom

There are two other people in the building that really like it. We had a nice discussion about it, like a book club. His second symphony is done well :)

sdtom

https://wordpress.com/posts/naxos2017.wordpress.com

I like the work and will retun to it again. I feel it is an extension of what Bruckner might be.

adriano

What has this link to do with Martin Scherber and with Naxos, sdtom?
One needs a password to enter...

eschiss1

https://naxos2017.wordpress.com/2017/09/03/symphony-no-2-martin-scherber/ is the link I think he meant?  (To SDTom - your link to modify is not the same as our link to view.)

adriano

I see, but why on earth has this to be published on a site about new Naxos releases???