Hyperion RPC: Urspruch/Bronsart & Rheinberger/Scholz

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Saturday 17 June 2017, 12:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Members of this forum may like to know that the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra completed recording sessions on 15 June for a CD in Hyperion's RPC series containing the Bronsart & Urspruch PCs. That is all I know - I do not have the details of the soloist or the conductor (though the latter is probably Brabbins).

giles.enders

And several weeks ago completed the recording of Josef Rheinberger and Bernhard Scholz piano concertos with Simon Callaghan as pianist.  So you see there is a lot to look forward to for next year.

FBerwald

Oh.. The Rheinberger is one to look out for - the orchestral accompaniment is simply gorgeous! I believe this is his 2nd Piano concerto; an earlier work in E-flat from the 1860's may not have survived.

Alan Howe

Thanks for all this great news. Some wonderful PCs to look forward to getting to know - in, no doubt, authoritative performances.

Mark Thomas

That's really good news from both Gareth and Giles. Thank you gentlemen. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I hope, but am I the only one who finds the Bronsart/Urspruch coupling an odd one? They're both German romantic concertos, but otherwise have very little in common.

Alan Howe

You're right, Mark. Exactly what I thought at first. Then I thought: who cares?

Mark Thomas

pianoconcerto

Quote from: FBerwald on Saturday 17 June 2017, 16:21
Oh.. The Rheinberger is one to look out for - the orchestral accompaniment is simply gorgeous! I believe this is his 2nd Piano concerto; an earlier work in E-flat from the 1860's may not have survived.

A reconstruction of the E-flat Concerto was recorded earlier on CD.  In my piano-and-orchestra discography I note:

Rheinberger, Joseph (Gabriel) (1839-1901) Germany
Concerto in E-flat, JWV 128 (1860; orchestrated by Jürg Hanselmann from the short score)
+Musikverlag Müller & Schade AG 5065/2:  Jürg Hanselmann/Sinfoinieorchester Liechtenstein/William Maxfield

See also http://www.mueller-schade.com/downloads/Portrait/Hanselmann_Juerg_A4.pdf

FBerwald

Alan Howe

QuoteA reconstruction of the E-flat Concerto was recorded earlier on CD

Is this still available?

Alan Howe

...to answer my own question, it seems to be available throught the pianist's website:
http://www.juerghanselmann.li/de/portal/cds/portraets/klavierkonzerte/

I've put in an order, so I'll let everyone know what happens...

Wheesht

Shame on me, I sometimes walk past the Müller und Schade shop, and sometimes I even go in, but I didn't know they produced CDs...
The Hanselmann disc with the Rheinberger is still available from the Müller und Schade web shop:

http://mueller-schade.com/pages/Onlineshop_New/de/Hanselmann%2C-Juerg?source=2&refertype=5&referid=36312

Ilja

Is anyone who has heard this work able to give a short review? 30 Euros+ is a bit hefty to spend on a whim without any inkling about the substance of a work/CD...

Gareth Vaughan

Well it's only CHF20 on the pianist's website (which is about £16). Don't know what postage costs would add to that, however.

jameswesthead

I am really pleased that the Bronsart has received a recording to compete with the old VOX one, which, in my opinion, leaves much to be desired in the quality of the orchestral playing. I have written to Hyperion at least twice over the years asking them to record it - the slow movement is gorgeous - it has even occasionally made it to Classic FM, if that can be taken as any indication of melodic quality. As to why Hyperion have coupled it with the Urspruch - well they were both pupils of Liszt at Weimar; indeed Bronsart gave the first performance of Liszt's second PC there, and Liszt subsequently dedicated it to him. Urspruch is said to have been one of Liszt's favourites. I have not yet heard any music by him, but Amazon Prime members can hear excerpts from his comic opera "Das Unmöglichste von Allem" from a live recording on Naxos.