News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dohnányi symphony in F

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 17 June 2017, 13:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Finally heard Dohnányi's early symphony in F (1896). Extremely impressed; would not have guessed student work, the music was so memorable, beautiful, even near-genius-level. A real find, just a bit derivative.

Alan Howe

Yep, it's derivative. But what a composer he was as a young man!

eschiss1

That was just a teensy comment not even a complaint. I agree, I agree!! :)

Mark Thomas

Derivative or no, I just love the work. Maybe because I also love the originals from which it's derived, and Dohnányi does such a convincing job of aping them?

eschiss1

Well, he also gives his themes real character and life- I wish more composers in that orbit reliably did that...

MartinH

Just out of curiosity - has anyone ever encountered anything by Dohnanyi live in concert? I've heard Variations on a Nursery Theme and that's it. His orchestral music would make such a nice program...but alas, we all know he'll never get a day in the sun.

eschiss1

I heard his serenade for trio in a concert (with Shostakovich and Beethoven, iirc) one summer when a college student working at Interlochen. My father's heard the first violin concerto live and enjoyed it (I haven't heard it live but used to have the Koch CD.)
I expect the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players have programmed a few Dohnányi works.

eschiss1

Btw Bachtrack lists performances of the piano sextet, 2nd piano quintet, cello sonata, and serenade- nothing orchestral is listed- over the next year (12 months or so) or maybe season.

Orchestrally speaking, the American Symphony has done several works of his including the Szeged Mass in 2013; the LA phil did the Minutes in 2012 (and the Virginia Symphony also performed this, in their 2015-16 season). More interestingly though still past not present, New Jersey Symphony did the Veil of Pierette suite in 2014 I think. (Don't deprecate the local orchestra! (Not my local orchestra, though I was born near enough there. Actually, my now-local orchestra (and college orchestras) are nothalfbad at that...), with eg Dohnányi's serenade (again) planned October 8- plus Smetana's trio and a work by Ingolf Dahl.)

minacciosa

While personally, I've only heard the String Trio in concert, I have taken part in public performances of the 3rd String Quartet, the Sextet, and both Piano Quintets. I've also accompanied another violinist in the Violin Sonata. I've never heard an orchestral work in concert, though I know the excellent cellist Sam Magill has performed the Konzertstück several times with orchestras.

FBerwald

I have a soft spot for his American Rhapsody, Op. 47 - a beautiful potboiler of folk tunes.

minacciosa

It's interesting that in his American Rhapsody he includes a tune that is decidedly not American: Sir Roger de Coverly

Gareth Vaughan

The Virginia Reel is virtually an Americanized version of Sir Roger de Coverley - and this tune, so Wikipedia tells us, was very popular in the USA between 1830 and 1890. That might be the explanation.

minacciosa

Interesting; that is news to me.

MartinH

Those lazy Americans. Stole Anacreon in Heaven for a national anthem. Re-purposed God Save the Queen as My Country 'tis of Thee. And worst of all, appropriated a great Elgar tune for the ubiquitous high school graduation march...

jimsemadeni

But you guys are our "Mama", so of course we love Mom's songs and lullabies! Hopefully we can survive as a free country and keep singing them, different words or not.