Catoire: more piano pieces by Anna Zassimova

Started by pedrito, Monday 19 June 2017, 17:15

Previous topic - Next topic

pedrito

The wonderful Russian-born, Germany-based pianist Anna Zassimova, who has already done so much for the works of Georgi Catoire, has recorded more piano works from this composer, along with the sonata reminiscenza opus 38nr1 by Nikolai Medtner and Scriabin's third sonata. The recording will include 3 pieces from opus 6 that Hamelin didn't record on his album of Catoire piano music. I believe Anna has also included the wonderful 4 préludes opus 17. The disc has been recorded, but is not yet available. Anna must be applauded for her work on this fenomenal composer: she recorded a splendid disc with the two violin sonatas and elegy together with Laurent Breuninger (a must-have if you ask me), the first-ever recording of some Catoire lieder, and a selection of piano works opus 12 and two world premiere recordings from opus 34) on her début cd "vergessene weisen". She has also recorded the piano trio with Boris Tsoukkerman on violin (cellist unknown to me), but this recording is also not yet out on the market. And last but not least, she has written a 400-pages long biography of him, sadly no longer available... more info on www.annazassimova.com
I am a big fan of Catoire's music. An earlier entry on this forum quickly diverted from the main topic and ended up in a discussion how to finance recordings of unsung music, but left a lot to be said about Catoire's (chamber) music. Therefore I hope this entry will (re)awaken interest in this composer, since he is very dear to me. Anyone else interested in his music?
cheers,
peter

pedrito

I fail to understand why his chamber music works (7 in total plus the short elegy) remain so underrecorded, because they are truly epic and beautiful works. The string quintet (with 2 cello's) is an extraordinary work, which has only be recorded once (the Amsterdam chamber music society, who have also recorded the string quartet, second violin sonata and piano quartet). Problem may lie with the availability of the score, especially in the strings-only works, for the only commercially available scores (edition silvertrust) only provide parts, and no full score, which in this hugely complex music sets a difficult task for the performers. But no such problems (or excuses) in the works with piano! I surely hope to see more recordings of his chamber music becoming available. The piano trio is another gem, and the Hyperion recording doesn't do the piece full justice I feel. I perform the trio in march 2018 and hope to record it afterwards (negotiations pending!), so I will keep you informed if anything happens. Admitted, his music asks for a lot of work, it is very virtuosic, with complex rhythmic patterns, but the rewards are glorious. People love the short elegy, which is a nice and short alternative for his larger works, and which I have used to great acclaim in concert or as an encore many times.

minacciosa

The primary reason they aren't performed is that they are exceedingly difficult. Rhythmically, Catoire is one of the most complex Romantic or Late-Romantic composers. Successfully performing his music requires an ear for motive work and voice-leading; one must always be aware of who has what, and that doesn't lend itself to the usual rehearsal schedule of Celebrity Chamber Music Concerts. That's the reason you'll hear Schubert's Quintets (and the like) so often: next to Catoire they're technically easy and they have the added benefit of already being in an experienced player's ear. It can be phoned in and still get a standing O.

eschiss1

Imslp.org has the score of the string quintet as well as the parts (first edition scans). Only the parts for the quartet true. Both violin sonatas I think...

pedrito

agreed, they are difficult (I speak from experience), but that shouldn't keep professional quartets, piano trios,... from playing these works! They rehearse together all the time! And the earlier works, such as the trio or first violin sonata are rhythmically more straigthforward then the later works, so I find that still no excuse ! But I guess it will still be up to those few brave explorers to play these works in concert...