Hausegger Barbarossa & 3 Hymnen

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 20 June 2017, 08:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

To be fair though, any copyright claimant (so not only copyright societies) can object to YouTube using this form, including you or Eschig: https://www.youtube.com/copyright_complaint_form

TerraEpon

If you look at it this way....

There has to be a belief somewhere down the line of who is 'right'. That is to say, someone has to claim "I'm allowed to upload this" vs someone else saying "That's my copyright, you can't upload this".

As stated above, anyone can fill out a form stating the later. And as I stated above, YT will pretty react right away and take it down. The person who uploaded then has to make a legal statement saying they are in the right to counter it.
Sure you could just paint everyone as criminals and say "well they have no problem stealing so they have no problem lying"....which might be true, but there's thousands of videos that get taken down where it's NOT true...
Here's perhaps a good link about what one person went through: https://petapixel.com/2016/02/20/how-i-turned-a-bs-youtube-copyright-claim-back-on-the-real-infringer/

Ilja

TerraEpon, intriguing though that case might be, I feel that you're muddying the issue here. It is not about YouTube politics and the "thousands of videos" that get taken down inappropriately (one might argue that because of its scale, anything with YT involves "thousands" of videos).

We were discussing the effects of YT channels on classical music sales and the practice of uploading virtually entire catalogues to them. It appears that a) there can be little question that this is an illegal practice and b) that whatever YT does to counter it evidently does not work.

Alan Howe

I think this (important) diversion has been adequately explored, so perhaps we could return to the subject in hand, please - unless anyone has a blinding flash of inspiration as to what to do about internet piracy...

eschiss1

... which makes me wonder -which- Barbarossa gave his name to the Hausegger dichtung (Frederick I (1122-1190) Holy Roman emperor, Hayreddin Barbarossa (1478-1546) (on whom the pirate-related legends are based), etc.)

Mark Thomas

It's the Holy Roman Emperor, Eric. IIRC one of the three movements refers to the legend that he didn't die, but is sleeping in a mountain waiting to be woken at the time of Germany's greatest need - maybe he slept through the alarm twice in the first half of the 20th century!

adriano

To those who are not Italian speaking: Barbarossa was red-haired, and in translation it means "the Red-Bearded". The Nazis named their Soviet Union Invasion "Operation Barbarossa". The Holy Emperor, thanks God, brought them all other than good luck.
In Verdi's opera "La battaglia di Legnano", Federico Barbarossa loses his battle against the Lombardic cities.
In 1815, Ferdinand Fränzl composed an opera on the other Barbarossa, entitled "Hariadan Barbarossa".
And in Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake", the evil genius is called Von Rotbart (In the score in original German).
Another operatic bearded man is, of course, Bluebeard (Bartok, Dukas, Reznicek). In Italian this would sound "Barbablu").

Ilja

As a bit of background, I should perhaps point out that after German unification in 1871, the figure of Barbarossa gained an altogether more elevated status in German national mythology. Perhaps the clearest manifestation of this is the Kyffhäuser Monument (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyffhäuser_Monument) near Bad Frankenhausen in Thuringia. That made it a suitable (and marketable) subject for all sorts of artistic manifestations, and this propably "helped" Von Hausegger to choose it as the theme for this symphony (which is what it is).

FBerwald

The CPO summery for this CD reads "..and so our Hausegger series continues with more powerful symphonic music..". I was under the impression that 3 CD's would cover the complete surviving output of Hausegger - Wonder what's next in pipeline?

eschiss1

Choral (a cappella) music? Operatic music? No idea...

Mark Thomas

"Promises are for keeping – and so our Hausegger series continues with more powerful symphonic music and the greatest success of the composer's lifetime, his Barbarossa of 1899"

As I read it, the "continues" refers to the current release, Barbarossa, and doesn't necessarily imply any more CDs. Sorry to burst any bubbles.

FBerwald

No bubbles burst but usually the word Concludes is used to state the completion of a series or "final volume" or something to that effect  - e.g. https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/max-bruch-saemtliche-werke-fuer-violine-orchester-vol-3/hnum/3126654

Gareth Vaughan

If Mark is not correct (though I suspect he is) it can only mean that CPO have plans, as Eric implies, to record some non-orchestral works by Hausegger since they have already put on disk all his extant orchestral compositions.

BerlinExpat

One can wish for opera preludes, orchestral interludes, transformation music and things of that ilk, can't one? There's more chance of that than a complete opera, I guess.

Alan Howe

There's no way of telling exactly what cpo mean: the German says 'setzen wir....fort', which means 'we are continuing'. Thus this release could be the promised continuation or there could be more to come. My sense is that this CD is the continuation and that no more is promised.