Albrecht von Preussen: Siegeshymnus zur Feier des 1. Januar 1867

Started by violinconcerto, Monday 26 June 2017, 14:23

Previous topic - Next topic

violinconcerto

Recently I bought a lot of documents which included a handwritten score of a composition called "Sieges Hymnus zur Feier des 1. Januar 1867 componiert von Prinz Albrecht, Sohn von Preussen" (roughly translated to: Victory hymn for the celebration of 1 January 1867, composed by Prince Albrecht, son of Prussia). I am neither expert to that period of time nor to military music, so I have difficulties to find information which Prince Albrecht is the correct one (one lived from 1809-1972, another from 1837-1906, and both composed more or less music) and more information on the composition. Is any of the readers here more into this kind of music and so could help me to identify the correct composer and find information about this composition (maybe the title is not the exact one used today?)
I expect that the "victory" refers to the Austro-Prussian War in 1866 and the victory of Prussia, hence the title. That would lead to the second Prince Albrecht (1837-1906) who fought in this war. If that is correct I am bit puzzled that such an "important composition" (composed for a victory and by a member of the royal family) wasn't performed widely in those days and so is much better known today.

Does anyone here has any ideas about this topic?

Best,
Tobias

Gareth Vaughan

Quote(one lived from 1809-1972

I presume you mean 1872 - well, I suppose either could have written it, but it does seem more likely that the composer was the second Albrecht. Interesting.

violinconcerto

Of course 1872. Thanks for the correction.

The problem with these royal composers is that they don't have "proper names" like the common people. Prince Albrecht of Prussia - what is his surname? I checked worldcat for published compositions of him, but there is only a "Albrecht of Hohenzollern" - a different guy. But maybe "my Albrecht" is listed differently?

Alan Howe

He's known as Prince Albert of Prussia in the English-speaking world. Probably doesn't help much, though.