Vasily Andreyevich Zolotarev 1873-1964

Started by dhibbard, Thursday 20 July 2017, 23:48

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

I'll be in Riga next month... I'll see what I can find out.

Alan Howe

As I have said, we need to bear in mind UC's clear guidelines, i.e:
Please do not post about composers or compositions which clearly fall outside our definition of "romantic". Your post will not be approved. If you are in any doubt, and in any event if the music was written after 1918, please email or PM a moderator before posting.

So, with the exception of No.1, we now need clear evidence as to the idiom of Zolotarev's symphonies. Until then, discussion should be restricted to that early work.

Mark Thomas

Just to add to what Alan says, if you come across something which is outside the 1918 guideline he's quite rightly quoted, but which you think falls within our stylistic criteria (in other words, it's romantic in style), simply email or PM a link to a recording to one or all of the moderators and we'll give it a listen, and get back to you very quickly. If no recording is available, however, it'll be near impossible to give that confirmation that the music falls within UC's remit, although a recording of anything by the composer from the same era would certainly be better than nothing.

dhibbard

OK  I'll see what I can find about the Symphony no 1 since it was written before 1918...

Alan Howe

It'd be of genuine interest to hear No.1 - and certainly to hear more about it - but it's information about Nos.2 to 7 that is most urgently needed for this thread to continue...

eschiss1

I have heard one of Zolotarev's somewhat-later works, I think - not a symphony though (one of his string quartets, No.4 Op.33). Will listen to it again...

cypressdome

A 12 minute excerpt from a ballet whose title apparently translates as "Flaming Hearts" can be seen starting around 16:30 in this Youtube video.  I know two Mediafire links that contain additional music by Zolotarev including a track identified as the first movement of his first symphony.  One of the links comes from the Art Music forum and contains recordings from the archives of the Belarusian National Library. The other link contains one short commercial recording and the first movement of his first symphony from an unknown source with unknown performers.  I'm not sure what the moderator's stance on posting such links would be.

eschiss1

The link claiming to be from his first symphony- I think- I've heard and compared to the op.8 of 1902; none of thr movenents match. Conferring with someone else we found it was by someone else entirely.

Alan Howe

The YouTube link...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZl7WNAChA
...features a Concert Symphony No.1 by one Vladislav Zolotarev (1942-1975)!

Sorry, we need proper evidence regarding Symphonies 2 to 7.

eschiss1

Ah, that's something else entirely; he was known as a baian composer (as noted in an earlier thread on this composer and the confusion sometines encountered.)

Gah misspellings...

dhibbard

Alan Howe

Quite. So now for some tangible evidence of the right one, please...

Alan Howe

QuoteA 12 minute excerpt from a ballet whose title apparently translates as "Flaming Hearts"

Very nice; could have been written in the 1880s. Perhaps the symphonies are like that too?

Christopher

Quote from: cypressdome on Saturday 05 August 2017, 21:59
A 12 minute excerpt from a ballet whose title apparently translates as "Flaming Hearts" can be seen starting around 16:30 in this Youtube video.  I know two Mediafire links that contain additional music by Zolotarev including a track identified as the first movement of his first symphony.  One of the links comes from the Art Music forum and contains recordings from the archives of the Belarusian National Library. The other link contains one short commercial recording and the first movement of his first symphony from an unknown source with unknown performers.  I'm not sure what the moderator's stance on posting such links would be.

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 05 August 2017, 22:07
The link claiming to be from his first symphony- I think- I've heard and compared to the op.8 of 1902; none of thr movenents match. Conferring with someone else we found it was by someone else entirely.

Yes it turned out to be the first movement of the 4th symphony by Belarusian composer Tsikotski (Tikotsky).

The other available pieces are (as mentioned) an extract from his balet Flaming Hearts; and a 6-minute extract from his balet The Prince-Lake. They contain remarkably similar themes.

Dhibbard - on other channels you have stated that you have actually seen vinyl records of Zolotarev's symphonies.  But do I understand from this thread that this isn't the case?

Alan Howe