Marinuzzi (1882-1945) Symphony in A

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 22 July 2017, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Looking forward to hearing it.
Wikipedia has it that he "died" in 1945. Vaguely remembered that that is accurate as far as it goes, but that he was killed by anti-fascist partisans, or am I thinking of another Italian conductor/composer who died in the same year? (Ah. It's Marinuzzi, but Slonimsky, according to a quick Google search, questions this story. ... So how did Marinuzzi die?) (According to Slonimsky, who finds too many holes and improbabilities in the usual story- and who also notes a cease-and-desist sort of letter from Marinuzzi's family to Baker's for their possibly incorrect account, a letter claiming he died in hospital - Slonimsky at least finds the peaceful death in hospital not unlikely. hrm. Ok, never mind then. I'd only heard the more sensational but apparently unlikely version...)

Alan Howe

The sleevenote says he suffered from liver failure while in the village of Bratto in mid-August 1945; from there he was taken by ambulance to Milan where he died on 17th August.

Gareth Vaughan

adriano

Marinuzzi, a great conductor and Wagner expert. He was also artistic director of the Chicago Opera before he returned to Italy. He also conducted operas by Bellini and Donizetti - and the world premiere of Puccini's "La Rondine". Maria Callas favored him.
His opera "Jacquerie" (premiered at the Colon Buoens Aires in 1918) is a good work. It was released by Nuova Era in 2006 (a 1994 live recording from Catania). The libretto is by the poet Alberto Donaudy, brother of composer Stefano Donaudy (who wrote some wonderful songs!)

Alan Howe

The sleevenote says he was not merely a great, but a 'supreme' composer. Special pleading, I'm assuming...

alberto

I have appreciated the Marinuzzi Symphony since the release (several years ago) of another Cd (label Dynamic, Croatian Radio Orch., cond.Niksa Bareza, live recording).
The new Decca appears better in terms of recording and orchestral playing. The earlier Cd had IMHO a better coupling in the symphonic poem "Sicania" (plus "Preludio e preghiera"); better than the innocent, if playful, "Suite Siciliana" of the Decca.
The Marinuzzi Symphony appears to me a distinctive, personal utterance (just remotely Straussian).
The sleevenote of the Decca appears decidedly excessive . It may be, however, accurate about the circumstances of the composer's death.

Alan Howe

I agree. The sleevenote greatly exaggerates the stature of Marinuzzi's music. But don't let that put you off!

semloh

Thanks for drawing attention to this. I had never heard of Marinuzzi, and those excerpts on Amazon suggest a very enjoyable disc indeed.  ;)

Alan Howe

It's a magnificent score, of that there's no doubt. If you enjoy Bax, Respighi, Korngold, etc., you'll love this...

Alan Howe

His opera Jacquerie (fp 1918) is very much in the same vein as contemporary operas by Zandonai and Montemezzi - with perhaps a more obvious sprinkling of Richard Strauss in places. Well worth hearing if you like the idiom.