Ignaz Brüll: Piano Trio

Started by mikehopf, Wednesday 26 July 2017, 10:33

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

On YouTube: Brüll Piano Trio in Eb. Very Brahmsian... very nice.

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Mike. It's what I'd expect from him: unadventurous, but otherwise quite delicious. Here's the link. Is it a forthcoming recording, I wonder?

Alan Howe

This is a wonderful work, dating apparently from 1876. This description appears at Edition Silvertrust's website:

"Ignaz Brüll's only Piano Trio, his Op.14 in E flat Major, appeared in 1876. It is in four concise, good-sounding movements which are sure to please chamber music lovers. Particularly pleasing is the main, march-like theme of the opening movement, Allegro moderato. The main part of the second movement, Andante, is deeply felt and given contrast by two lighter and livelier interludes. A spirited Scherzo with brief contrasting trio comes next. The effective finale resembles the opening movement in its use of a march-like subject for the main theme."—the famous chamber music scholar Wilhelm Altmann writing in his Handbook for Piano Trio Players.

Gareth Vaughan

Yes, it is a super work.  I hope it will receive a commercial recording.

semloh

Thanks for the link. I agree - a lovely piece in the Brahms/Schumann style.

eschiss1

Will have a listen. Just listening to the disc with his Macbeth overture and vn concerto finally (better late than never) - very fine too. Thanks!