News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Thomas Dunhill

Started by Jimfin, Sunday 29 July 2012, 06:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfin

For anyone interested, there is a new website dedicated to the works of Thomas Dunhill, which looks like a promising move forward for a composer who always seems to be the bridesmaid, never the blushing bride in terms of attention. It's on www.thomasdunhill.com

chill319

Good news. I look forward to learning and hearing more about and from Dunhill. His Violin Sonata, op. 50, shows an inventive composer with a strong lyrical gift and a recognizably English countenance.

eschiss1

His published scores are encouraging for what that's worth (that can be deceiving as can the opposite of course. I was not much impressed at all by the "look" of a Danish composer's symphony that I'd remembered seeing praised but on actually hearing it several times liked it quite a bit... as is sometimes and should more often be emphasized, the sound's the thing :) )

Simon

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but does anyone know what happened to www.thomasdunhill.com ? It doesn't seem to work lately.

And while we're here, have Dunhill's diaries been published? Some excerpts were available on the above mentioned website, but I didn't see anything beside this...

rosflute

I used to encourage my students to learn Dunhill's Suite for flute. It is a nice work but that's as far as I'd say it goes. The reality was that the technical dificulties (including choice of key signature) were not compensated by the rewards of playing it.

eschiss1

The Royal College of Music has Dunhill's papers, including presumably his diaries.