Family related composers of the Classical and Romantic eras

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 29 July 2017, 12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Might I add brothers Isidor (1892-1943) and Joseph (1886-1942) Achron?

Nice little exercise. What might *really* be useful to determine musical relationships would be a sociogram (or a bunch of them). family relationships generally do not say much about musical affinity because of the generational divide.

giles.enders

In reply to Matesik.  The reason for this list it partly to put the composers into context.  There is another site which gives the composers teachers and pupils.  I believe it is of interest when listening to say Richard Strauss to be aware of his contemporaries and his family.  These will all have influenced him.  When preparing concert programmes or recordings, it is also useful to be aware of family related composers.  Many on the list are complete unknowns so I hope some one somewhere will explore them.

My piano concerto website, piano-concertos.org  which in essence is just a list, has thrown up hundreds of leads and I know for a fact that it has led to both concerts and recordings.

I would also add, to your 'So what!'  So what have you done to promote lesser known composers ?

giles.enders

I thank everyone who has added to the list.  In a month or so, I will try and incorporate them in to my list.  Now the search is on for some of the music. 

Double-A

Amanda Maier, Röntgen's wife, should be included in the Röntgen clan.  Or maybe not since she reportedly quit composing once married?

eschiss1

eschiss1

Giles Enders: "what has [Matesic] done to promote lesser known composers"?

Search under his nickname , under "Steve's Bedroom Band" also, on IMSLP.org, and ask that question again. One can wait. Take your time now.  And I'm quite sure that's only the smallest part of the answer to your question (which I'm sure he should answer himself, but the answer is so obvious I'm interjecting a bit of it myself.) Goodness, he's even done a bit to promote -my- music, and I don't deserve it in the slightest... (but it was for all that _extremely_ appreciated!)

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

eschiss1

eschiss1

Btw you may not have appreciated Matesic's tone at a guess, but lists as lists are generally not a good idea here, I'm surprised the moderators have said nothing on the point!

Mark Thomas

There's nothing wrong with work lists for example (as long as they cover all genres). It's all a matter of usefullness and relevance to UC's remit. Lists of likes or dislikes are out, though!

Gareth Vaughan

Agreed. Nothing at all wrong with Giles' list here. I don't imagine for one moment that Matesic intended to sound discourteous. We must all remember (and beware) when writing on such fora that the printed word cannot easily convey an intonation! And we have all, I'm sure, been guilty by this means of giving offence without meaning to or taking offence where none was intended.

matesic

Blimey - just caught up with all this after a few days away. My comment was intentionally flippant but I didn't mean to denigrate Giles's work - just to inquire (admittedly in a provocative way) where it might be leading?