BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Scott of the Antarctic

Started by adriano, Thursday 03 August 2017, 07:28

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

Another very important issue, although it's music composed in the 1940s:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Aug/VW_Scott_CDLX7340.htm

In the 1980 I had corresponded with Ursula Vaughan Williams, since I wanted to reconstruct and record this score myself. She replied (in a letter dated 8.8.88) that such a thing should not have to be done!

Just wonder from where Dutton can raise the funds for such productions in such difficult times!

I feel like a frustraded prophet...

minacciosa

Dutton works with radio orchestras, so much of the financial burden is borne by the orchestra's arrangements with the radio.

sdtom

I have the Chandos recording. Does anyone have some comparision material available?

adriano

Will have it within a few days :-)

musiclover

Dutton doesn't work only with Radio Orchestras. The BBCCCO is only one of the orchestras they work with. In any case I expect this recording of Scott of the Antarctic was very costly as it says on the CD notes that it was recorded in the Caird Hall, Dundee with the RSNO and Chorus and moving all those musicians from their base in Glasgow would have cost a considerable amount. In Martin Yates' notes he says he used all sources to put this all together and that includes the score that the conductor Ernest Irving used and that was not available in the British Library until very recently so whatever anyone was going to put together prior to Yates was going to be by definition incomplete. This recording is first rate in every aspect and I am so thrilled that it's been done to such a high standard.
I'm pretty certain that anyone on this thread will agree, at least I hope they will.

adriano

Yes, I also really enjoy this magnificent recording. There are, of course, quite a few musically uninteresting cues for single listening, but this completist's achievement was overdue. Would I have done this earlier in Bratislava, I would not have got at my disposal such a good orchestra - studio - and recording team.

M. Yaskovsky

It's a truely great recording and I'm happy this is recorded. Dutton should get a Gramophone Award for this. Or an Echo Klassik, an Edison etc.

sdtom

I'm willing to 'bite the bullet' if someone can convince me that the Chandos recording is inferior. Did Hickox do his 7th Symphony?

musiclover

Well it's the complete music Vaughan Williams wrote for the film to start with which in my book makes it essential.

sdtom

thanks for telling me. I'll order it