News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Walter Braunfels: Te Deum

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 30 August 2017, 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Stylistically speaking, all but the last of Braunfels' music is within our remit, even though his most successful works date from the 1920s and 30s. In his orchestral music, he often wears his debt to Richard Strauss enjoyably on his sleeve with works like the Phantastische Erscheinungen eines Themas von Hector Berlioz and the Don Juan Variations, but I have recently discovered his monumental Te Deum in a recently re-issued Orfeo recording, which has totally bowled me over. Although I have enjoyed most of Braunfels' compositions that I've heard, it came as a complete surprise that the impact and sheer musical quality of this massive four-movement 53-minute work approaches the Verdi and Brahms' Requiems and the closing stages of Mahler's Resurrection Symphony. Highly recommended.

der79sebas

An even greater work than the wonderful Te Deum is the "Große Messe" (Great Mass). Take the Decca recording with Honeck - the Capriccio recording with Weigle is not nearly as good. Concerning the operas: "Die Vögel" (probably his very best opus) and "Ulenspiegel" are two really enjoyable pieces.

I also like the piano concerto (Dutton) very well. And I hear rumors that Capriccio will soon release a recording of the "Carnival Overture" together with "Prelude and Fugue" for orchestra - I only know (and like very much) the latter piece, but the contemporary reviews about the "Carnival Overture" were full of praise. A very funny, lively and even dramatic work is the "Don Juan"-variations - Botstein's version (as amazon mp3) surpasses the others (Capriccio, Oehms) by far!

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the tips, I'll look forward to investigating the operas and the Große Messe.

Alan Howe

You'll probably like Die Vögel (1913-19), Mark - especially in this glorious performance, which you can download very cheaply here:
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4486792

Knocks Schreker, S.Wagner et al into a cocked hat!

Mark Thomas

Gareth Vaughan

I do agree wholeheartedly. Die Vogel is magnificent.

Mark Thomas

It's settling in on my hard drive!

adriano

Don't forget his Oratorios "Jeanne d'Arc" (Decca) and "Verkündigung" (after Paul Claudel, EMI)!
"Te Deum" is also available in a more passionate rendering of 1952 by Günter Wand (Membran).
His "Concerto for Organ, boy's chorus and Orchestra", "Symphonic Variations" for Orchestra and "Toccata, Adagio and Fugue" (for Organ) have been released on the Oehms label. The same label has issued two CDs with his orchestral songs!

der79sebas

"Jeanne d'Arc" and "Verkündigung" (take the new recording with Schirmer/BR, not the old one with Davies/EMI) are true operas, not oratorios. I like especially "Verkündigung" (as compared with the other Braunfels operas) but still it is far behind "Die Vögel" and "Ulenspiegel".

adriano

Sorry der79sebas for my mistake. In this case, for me alone they are mystery plays like Honegger's Oratorios :-)