Frederic Cliffe CD on Sterling

Started by dhibbard, Wednesday 06 September 2017, 21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

A good friend lend me a copy of this Symphony by British composer Frederic Cliffe... the Symphony no 1... it is currently available on Amazon.... really very nice music.     https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E2RGL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some info from Wiki:
Frederic Cliffe (2 May 1857 – 19 November 1931) was an English composer.

Cliffe was born in Bradford, Yorkshire. As a youth, he showed a promising musical aptitude and was enrolled as a scholar of the National Training School for Music, the parent of the Royal College of Music, under its first Principal Arthur Sullivan.

From 1884 to 1931 he held the post of Professor of Piano at the Royal College of Music.   Among his pupils were John Ireland and Arthur Benjamin.

Cliffe had a short career as a composer from 1889 to 1905. His principal works were two Symphonies, the first of which was produced at The Crystal Palace in 1889, and subsequently performed at a Philharmonic concert, being well received on each occasion, with The Daily Telegraph hailing it as "a masterpiece". Although not overtly programmatic, its first movement was influenced by a visit to Norway by Cliffe. It was published by Novello. His Second Symphony had its first performance at the Leeds Festival in 1892. Cliffe gave titles to each of its movements: I. At Sunset. II. Night. III. Fairy Revels. IV. Morning. It has been edited (2010) by Lionel Harrison and published by Patrick Meadows.

His 'scena', The Triumph of Alcestis, for contralto voice and orchestra, was composed for Clara Butt.

After that seventeen-year period of composing substantial works, he had no record of further major composition and his works received few subsequent performances during his lifetime.

Cliffe died in London, aged 74.

Mark Thomas

dhibbard

thank you for that link... I read quite a bit of the conversation and will re read it again... it does pose a question to us all with regard to the "crowd funding" mechanism to bring unsung composers unrecorded works to the market; or at least to those that contribute a small amount to the project.   

I know recently that over the last 3 years,  I have contributed small amounts to "go fund me" music projects.. wherein local  ( as in USA based) symphonies have performed unrecorded works and sold the CDs to the contributors or gave them in exchange for the contribution.   It does seem to work esp. with University Symphony Orchestras and  smaller budget orchestras.   Interesting concept if a few thousand people contribute $10-50 USD.   

Alan Howe

Thanks for your post. You may find it worthwhile to do a search before posting: there is already a considerable amount of material on Cliffe at UC.

dhibbard

Just a thought...wonder if we could use our collective interest to crowd fund or "go fund me" an unsung composers' unrecorded symphony at least 1x a year??

eschiss1

Always a symphony? The genre/medium/instrumentation can matter less than other things :) but (admittedly speaking as someone who - at this time - has very limited ability to contribute) I still favor the general idea.

Mark Thomas

We've had this debate before and it founders on the fact that, when it comes to putting up one's own money, those few that would actually do so understandably only want to spend their cash on their own pet projects. I'll hold my hand up on this: I have sponsored quite a few recordings of Raff's music, and (with the exception of Cliffe's 2nd Symphony) my sponsorship budget has been reserved for Raff projects.

eschiss1

I guess as they say, that's Raff, but that's how it is! :)

FBerwald

The Second Symphony by Cliffe is a beautiful composition that rewards repeated listening. Very different from the 1st one - Definitely deserves a commercial recording.

That being said, reg. Raff.... if there's a project to record the symphonies with a sympathetic conductor - especially No. 8, I'M IN!!

Jimfin

I'm already spread between Sullivan, Smyth and Havergal Brian. Wish I could spread my munificence further, but teachers' salaries aren't quite up there with that Mr. Trump (who would doubtless spend it on new Justin Beaver recordings or something)

dhibbard

I agree... case in point the Edward Burlingame Hill: Symphony No. 4 & Orchestral Works  by the Austin Symphony Orchestra CD was crowd funded and some of the videos are still out on the internet.. using GoFundMe.     

Alan Howe

As Mark indicated, we've been here before. Let's concentrate on Cliffe, please.