News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sergey Taneyev

Started by sdtom, Thursday 21 September 2017, 23:13

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Where I work part time at the thrift store I came upon a Naxos older release of some new material to me of Taneyev. The one that got got my attention is definitely unsunf which was his graduation piece, the overture in d minor. Has anyone any experience with this work and what is their opinion. The work seemed to me to be quite good for a graduation student piece. The release is on Naxos #8.570584 from 2007.

MartinH

Everything of Taneyev is unsung. I assume we're talking SI Taneyev. Except for a chamber work, the trio, I've never encountered anything by Taneyev in concert. It's too bad that getting scores and parts is not so easy - the symphonies, especially the 2nd, would be great for amateur groups to take up, as would the overtures. A composer known only to serious record collectors, I'm afraid.

eschiss1

Still, between now and June there's at least 6 live performances of Taneev works scheduled it seems - the Oresteia overture in Madrid, Prague and San Francisco (all conducted by Bychkov), the piano prelude and fugue in Paris in November (Lilya Zilberstein), the piano quintet in Leeds on Feb. 13, and Ioann Damaskin (Op.1) in Cologne on June 17 (conducted by Kitajenko.) And aside from the complete recording of his string quartets on Melodiya LP (reissued on CD) and the new series on Naxos CD, there's yet another disc of his quartets 2 & 6 on a Centaur CD, for instance; and his suite for violin and orchestra has gotten a fair number of recording outings- deservedly. (And his piano quintet especially deservedly :D ) As to scores and parts, the much-maligned (here anyway, by a few members, but elsewhere too) IMSLP has parts for some of his works. (Eg his fine 4th string quartet...)

Some of them are not in the public domain in the US yet (3 of his 4 symphonies...)

Re "I assume we're talking SI Taneyev" - I don't know of any other Sergei Taneevs who composed though there might have been as with the various Franz and Francois Schuberts...? (It's not his uncle being spoken of, since "Sergey" is specified specifically in the subject line.)

sdtom

I am referring to Sergey Ivanovich. His work is the latest of my interests to a composer I know little about.

Alan Howe

Just to clear up any confusion, there are, of course, two Taneyevs - the better-known one under consideration here and his distant cousin Alexander Sergeyevich (1850-1918)...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Taneyev

eschiss1

Cousin, not uncle, right.
IMSLP has the score of Alex'r's symphony 3 in E (not in E-flat) major fwiw.

Santo Neuenwelt

The parts to the following Chamber works by Sergei Taneyev are available from Edition Silvertrust

String Trio WoO (1880)
String Trio (2 Violins & Viola) Op.21
String Trio Op.31

String Quartet No. 1  Op.4
String Quartet No. 2  Op.5
String Quartet No. 3. Op.7
String Quartet No. 4  Op.11
String Quartet No. 5  Op.13
String Quartet No. 6  Op.19

String Quintet (2 Cellos) Op.14
String Quintet (2 Violas) Op.16

Piano Trio Op.22
Piano Quartet Op.20
Piano Quintet Op.30

The other Taneyev is Alexander Taneyev (1850=1918) a distant counsin of Sergei. We offer the parts to his three String Quartets

String Quartet No.1 Op.25
String Quartet No.2 Op.28
String Quartet No.3 Op.30

You can hear extensive sound examples of all of these works on our website
www.editionsilvertrust.com

Santo Neuenwelt

I forgot to mention that we are seeking the parts to Sergei Taneyev's String Quartet Nos.7-9. These were actually all composed before his No.1. He chose not to publish them. They were however published in the 1950s and recorded on Melodyia LPs 12111, 12333 and rereleased on Northern Flowers CDs 9934-36.

The Sibley Library in Rochester has the score to at least one of these but has refused to digitalize it because they believe it to be under copyright. This is one of those works the Russia has decided they want to reclaim but it was not under copyright at the time it was published and of no interest to the Russian until 2000. Actually, probably not of interest to them now.

If anyone knows where we might obtain copies of the parts to these, please let me know.

sdtom

Thanks for  clearing up any possible confusion. The CD is a good one.

dhibbard

I would check with Edwin Kalmus in the USA.. they usually have this type of music...  you also might check with the Free Library of Philadelphia..(Fleisher Library)  they usually will let you rent their parts.

https://libwww.freelibrary.org/locations/departments/fleisher-collection

http://www.efkalmus.com/

they are in Florida   good luck 

I may have a copy of the score.

eschiss1

Checking know.freelibrary.org I see scores and/or reductions of his E minor and D minor symphonies (not the new MPH reprints- the existence of which doesn't prove PD status btw) - but not quartets 7-9.

dhibbard

I was mistaken,  I have a copy of the Piano Quartet Op 20..  you might check nearby University Music Libraries.  Most of his music was published by M.P Belaieff, in Leipzig now distributed by CF Peters I believe in Bonn and New York,    At least the early SQs .. you should be able to locate them in your country...  I would also check the WorldCat to see what libraries have them.  You can request the sheet music via inter-library loan

eschiss1

I think quartets 7-9 and his 3 unfinished quartets of 1876, 1905 and 1911 were (first?) published as volumes 3 and 4 of his complete quartets, 1950-52 -see e.g. http://www.worldcat.org/title/kvartety-dlia-dvukh-skripok-alta-i-violoncheli/oclc/77881903.

eschiss1

I'm looking at IMSLP and actually US copyright status of many items published by Muzyka (e.g. new editions of Tchaikovsky works) even after the fall of the Soviet Union seems to be regarded as PD-US, for various reasons (urtext law/work-for-hire rule/...). I expect at least one or more may apply to the Taneev making it PD-US; it's already PD-CA and PD-EU (probably) (see the chart on the linked IMSLP page.) (The only issues preventing it from being PD-CA/EU _might_ be the death dates of the editors.)

(I realize the complete edition linked to earlier may only be the scores of quartets 7-9, and you requested _parts_, sorry :( )