News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Pixis piano trios

Started by Rob H, Thursday 21 September 2017, 23:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

Alan Howe

Try clicking on the composer's name and you'll hear a delightful excerpt...

eschiss1

Just so long as they haven't pulled a reverse-Liszt and included a very little known Beethoven trio with Pixis' name there on us!

Martin Eastick

Just to clarify: the excerpt on the website is from the Trio Concertant No1, composed by Pixis and the Bohrer brothers, Max and Anton. This work is in the form of an introduction, theme and variations - the theme (featured) being from Onslow's opera "Le Colporteur". The main works on the forthcoming CD are Pixis' Grand Trios No1 (Op75) & No3 (Op95), and this will be the first instalment of a complete recorded survey of all Pixis' piano trios! It will indeed also be interesting in due course to hear the composer's original version of the work that was released on THAT LP by Turnabout all those years ago - (fraudulently?) as a double concerto which misled a great many of us, myself included, at the time!

Nevertheless, THIS premiere release consists of good chamber music which represents Pixis as a composer of assured talent, and stylistically whilst unashamedly of its time - is well-written and entertaining throughout. It should also go a long way to dispel any lingering and erroneous suspicions that he ONLY composed endless fantasies and sets of variations etc., on popular themes of the day (which he certainly did!)!   

eschiss1

Apologies for the obscure joke, and I do look forward to the release, in truth.

eschiss1

MDT's listing for Hyperion CDA68207 gives piano trios 1 in E-flat (Op.75) and 3 in B minor (Op.95), and trio concertant No.1. (28 minutes, 25 minutes, 11 minutes. Edit: the concertant is a collaboration between him and the Bohrer brothers- whose music may be too early for us, or too uninteresting, or something; at least, I have never seen Antoine and Max mentioned here that I recall?... hrm... I should check...)

Neat.