Richard Stöhr chamber music, vol. 2 from Toccata

Started by Sharkkb8, Thursday 05 October 2017, 00:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

In Toccata's current "Pipeline".  Volume 1 was a bit of a surprise (and a positive one) a few years ago, iirc.  No release date yet, that I can see, anyway.

Richard Stöhr, Chamber Music, Volume Two
Piano Trio in E flat major, Op. 16; Three Songs, Op. 21, for Low Voice and Piano, with Cello Obbligato

https://toccataclassics.com/toccata-pipeline/  [scroll down]

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Whoop-de-do. I was hugely impressed by Stöhr's music in Vol.1.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

The Piano Trio is utterly gorgeous. What a delight!

Alan Howe

Now that I have the CD, I can confirm that this is indeed lovely music. However, I have two reservations: first, at over 49 minutes the Piano Trio is very expansive; and second, the string playing is not quite up to the job. The violinist's playing is often a little 'raw' when sweetness is required and the cellist tends to 'boom away' when a clearer line is needed throughout. So, while I'm glad to have this music, I'm not sure that the playing is quite good enough to carry it off. Something truly special is required for repeated listening, I suggest. Nevertheless, a must-buy for the repertoire...

Mark Thomas

I've downloaded the recording but haven't listened to it yet. I'm still looking forward to doing so, but maybe my appetite has now been dulled somewhat ...

Alan Howe

The slow movement's better than the opening movement. This must be very difficult music to pull off.

Alan Howe

I have a spare copy of this CD going begging (I ordered two by mistake). Anyone want to do a swap? If so, please message me via the website.