Théodore Dubois Oboe Quintet & String Quartet from Toccata

Started by Sharkkb8, Thursday 05 October 2017, 00:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

On Toccata's "Pipeline" page:

Théodore DUBOIS
Quintet for Oboe and Piano Quartet (1905); String Quartet No. 1 (1909); Petits rêves d'enfants (1903); Méditation-Prière (1926)

https://toccataclassics.com/toccata-pipeline/

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

jdperdrix

The first string quartet was previously released by Parisii Quartet (SWR-Music) with smaller pieces. Is it the same recording, with the addition of the quintet ? The quintet has been recorded for Atma and is commercially available.
I would have liked to hear the version with 2nd violin instead of oboe. The slow movement of this version is available on youtube, from a Palazzetto Bru Zane concert but, as far as know, it has never been made fully available...

Sharkkb8

I posted this over a year and a half ago.....did anyone ever obtain the cd?  It's nowhere to be found on Toccata's website, or anywhere else, for that matter....unless I'm doing it wrong.   ::)

eschiss1

Sharkkb8

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 10 May 2019, 14:39
Used to be - maybe they withdrew it?

Apparently so. Although they even had a file/reference number for it - TOCC 0362 - and one might have thought that meant it was moderately far down the production path.  Oh well.... :'(

4candles

Reviving this old thread with the news that this Dubois release from Toccata is now available with sound samples at Presto Music.

Sounds delightful, as one would expect from the composer, although some of the string lines sound very closely recorded, even a little raspy (unless that's my mediocre media player or a glitch in the transfer process from master recording to website).

4c

Alan Howe

I noticed the rather 'rasping' sound of the string playing too - I'm afraid it's enough to put me off this particular release.

Alan Howe

That's a possibility, yes. But I'm not prepared to shell out in order to find out!

4candles

Glad to note that Toccata Classics are on the case here.

From Martin Anderson at Toccata:

"...some of the tracks developed a weird electronic buzz – something to do with incompatibility between formats. As soon as we were aware of it, we stopped the issue and sent a new master to the factory, and we're now waiting for re-delivery, which should happen any moment now.
There's nothing wrong with the downloads of any of these releases, and you can also order the CDs without fear of getting the faulty copies..."

4c

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

It's a laudable and typically honest statement from Toccata, though.