News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Philip Scharwenka VC

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Monday 09 October 2017, 13:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

I see that Musikproduktion Hoeflich (MPH) https://repertoire-explorer.musikmph.de/ have just published a new edition of Philip Scharwenka's splendid VC. Let us hope this will encourage a recording.

Mark Thomas

Very often MpH scores have excellent and highly informative prefaces, which are all freely available online. Unfortunately this isn't one of them.

violinconcerto

Normally thay don't have new editions but just copies of old scores out of copyrights if I see that correctly.

eschiss1

Their specialty is smaller-score reprints, though with some never-published-in-full-score works, e.g. Magnard's 1st and 2nd symphonies, I think they have commissioned first-ever typeset scores. VC: Not all their scores are yet out of copyright --this is important to note- sometimes they publish things by arrangement with the copyright-holder. (They are very clear about this on their site...)  EG some works by Reinhard Schwarz-Schilling (1904-85) in copyright in EU, CA, and due to renewed publication in the US (or in the case of Die Botschaft (1979-82), laws applying to such recently-published works apply), USA too, but yes, republished by MPH by arrangement.

eschiss1

BTW in regards Philipp Scharwenka, a recording of 2 of his violin sonatas did come out last year on TYXArt (first recording I think I've seen of his chamber music since Olympia recorded a lot of it back in the day). It's streamed on Naxos Music Library, going to have a listen soon (and to some Schwarz-Schilling too, just because :).) Anyway, anyone else have a listen to the new Scharwenka disc (incidentally)?

Martin Eastick

Yes - I did actually get this TYXart CD when released in Germany last year - and excellent it is too! With regards to the violin concerto, I don't think we will need to wait much longer for this to be recorded.........

Mark Thomas

You tease! Care to expand on that?

Alan Howe

I see the preface was written by Christoph Schlüren - he often authors sleevenotes too, so....

Alan Howe

QuoteNormally thay don't have new editions but just copies of old scores out of copyrights if I see that correctly.

Ah, but that's precisely what some of us want...

Gareth Vaughan

I must retract. This is not a NEW edition, just a reprint, but at least it makes the score more readily available - and, alas, Mark is right: the preface is very lightweight - disappointing. I note they have also published Ferdinand Hiller's Concert Overture No. 2 - a rather pointless exercise IMHO since scores AND parts to both Hiller's Concert Overtures are available at IMSLP. The preface to this is similarly "feeble", and misleading. The author writes: "Among the relatively few orchestral works are four overtures..."  In fact there are at least 6 overtures, at least 7 (possibly 11) symphonies, 2 orchestral fantasies (Op. 127 and Op. 166) 3 piano concertos + a 4 movt "Konzertstuck" for piano & orchestra, a Violin Concerto + a "Fantaisiestuck" for violin and orchestra and a Romance for Violin and Orchestra, and a Cello concerto – hardly "relatively few orchestral works".

violinconcerto

Yes, and other services just do the same as well but cheaper... check abebooks.com and get a scanned copy of the Scharwenka score for 8 US$...

eschiss1

Some of the works that are still-in-copyright (in some areas) that they republish (by arrangement with copyright holders) are well within the bounds of this forum, actually. (Later Respighi for starters?) (The Schwarz-Schilling mentioned above is quite enjoyable to me- just listened to a symphony of his "Diatonica" - but ok, won't press the point.)

Of course, even in the case of out-of-copyright works, they also have full scores of some works only reduced scores at best - if that- IMSLP users have been able to find to upload. Etc.

(Also: Paul Büttner's 4 symphonies, the first three of which are I think on YouTube and the fourth of which is or was on CD; all the Raff, Gade, Fuchs, ... symphonies, not just the several @ IMSLP; Hans Huber's 2nd violin concerto (first publication in full score); etc. My only connection with them is that I -have- written a couple of (unfortunately poor :( ) prefaces for them and received some in return, but have no obligation to say good things about them; I am I admit well-disposed towards them, though...)

Mark Thomas

For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't criticising MpH, just the poor preface to this score. Of course IMSLP duplicate many of the scores, but MpH's products aren't PDFs but bound, pocket-size books. Judging by the way their catalogue has grown they're meeting a real and substantial need.

eschiss1

I think well of both organizations (and do more work for IMSLP) for what it's worth and thought you came in clearly and meaning only positively, I think I was just expanding on a thought/contrast :)

JimL

A 4-movement konzertstück by Hiller?  I only see 3, Gareth...