Johann Brandl symphonies

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 11 October 2017, 02:59

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

2 late-classical symphonies by Johann Evangelist Brandl (published ca.1796, 1803...) are coming out soon from cpo.

Alan Howe

Yes, I saw this too. One for the wants list, definitely.

Alan Howe

Brandl's Symphony in D, Op.25 (pub.1803) is very much late-classical in spirit, but the composer clearly had an ear for dramatic effects - e.g. suddenly lurches into unexpected keys or dissonant surprises - which keep the listener on his/her toes throughout. A very stimulating listen indeed.

Alan Howe

I suppose the real point here is that there's so much more to the development of the symphony around the turn of the 18th/19th centuries than Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert. All manner of composers were experimenting with the late-classical model; this CD is an absolutely triumphant example of music that has been unjustly buried, but brought back to life in dedicated performances (HIP-informed, but given plenty of weight and colour). By the way, Kevin Griffiths, the conductor here, is Howard's son. No wonder the CD is such a winner. Recommended with all enthusiasm!

eschiss1

MDT gives what I now suppose I should read as January 12 2018 (rather than December 1?) for the release date/availability-from-MDT date for this CD. (Symphony No.25, MDT? Op.25 != No.25. Tsk! :)) )